Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the program.

    Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage

    February 18, 2026
    Troops nab 25 suspected bandits, kidnappers along Benue highway 

    Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau

    February 18, 2026
    Vinicius, racism and mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson

    Vinicius, racism and Mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson 

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage
    • Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau
    • Vinicius, racism and Mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson 
    • Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100/dollar in 2026
    • Wike berates Amaechi over NASS protest appearance with doctor son
    • Residents flee to Benin Republic as terrorists invade Niger again
    • EFCC extends El-Rufai detention over N432bn corruption probe
    • Aiyedatiwa denies role in APC chairman attack in Ondo
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, February 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    China to reopen borders for the first time since 2020

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedMarch 14, 2023No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Xi, Chinese president vows to reunify Taiwan with China
    Chinese President Xi Jinping
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    China announced Wednesday that it will reopen its borders to foreign tourists for the first time in three years, following the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, by restoring the issuance of all types of visas.

    The removal of this last cross-border control measure imposed to protect against COVID-19 comes after authorities declared victory over the virus last month.

    The boost to the tourism industry should help rekindle a $17 trillion economy that experienced one of the slowest rates of growth in nearly half a century last year.

    Areas in China that did not require visas prior to the pandemic will revert to visa-free entry, according to the foreign ministry on Tuesday. This will include the southern tourist island of Hainan and cruise ships passing through Shanghai port.

    Visa-free entry to the southern manufacturing hub of Guangdong for foreigners from Hong Kong and Macau will also be resumed.

    The ministry also said foreigners holding visas issued before March 28, 2020, that are still within their validity dates will also be able to enter China.

    • China sets 5% economic growth target

    “Resuming applications for all types of visas removes another significant barrier in the resumption of normal travel between the UK and China,” Tom Simpson, managing director of, the China-Britain Business Council, told Reuters.

    “The (council) has already seen business travel applications and arrivals begin to increase since January, however, this news should lead to a significant increase in visits in particular for tourism.”

    Outbound Travel
    China, which withdrew its advisory to citizens against foreign travel in January, also added another 40 countries to its list for which group tours are allowed, bringing the total number of countries to 60.

    Inbound and outbound international flights in the week of March 6 rose more than 350% compared with a year earlier to nearly 2,500 flights, according to the Chinese flight tracking APP Flight Master, though the number was still just 17.4% of 2019 levels.

    In 2022, just 115.7 million cross-border trips were made in and out of China, with foreigners accounting for around 4.5 million.

    By contrast, China logged 670 million overall trips in 2019 before the arrival of COVID, with foreigners accounting for 97.7 million.

    Beijing abandoned its draconian zero-COVID policies in December and in January cancelled quarantine requirements for incoming travellers.

    New Premier Li Qiang said on Monday that China took less than two months to achieve a “smooth transition” in its response to COVID-19 and that the country’s strategies and measures had been completely correct.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the program.

    Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage

    Troops nab 25 suspected bandits, kidnappers along Benue highway 

    Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau

    Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100 per dollar in 2026

    Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100/dollar in 2026

    You have a spiritual problem – Wike blasts Amaechi over property claims

    Wike berates Amaechi over NASS protest appearance with doctor son

    Residents flee to Benin Republic as terrorists invade Niger again

    Residents flee to Benin Republic as terrorists invade Niger again

    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    EFCC extends El-Rufai detention over N432bn corruption probe

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the program.

    Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage

    February 18, 2026
    Troops nab 25 suspected bandits, kidnappers along Benue highway 

    Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau

    February 18, 2026
    Vinicius, racism and mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson

    Vinicius, racism and Mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson 

    February 18, 2026
    Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100 per dollar in 2026

    Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100/dollar in 2026

    February 18, 2026
    You have a spiritual problem – Wike blasts Amaechi over property claims

    Wike berates Amaechi over NASS protest appearance with doctor son

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.