Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president
    • Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges
    • Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws
    • DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West
    • Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary
    • Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears
    • Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours
    • Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    China backs Mojtaba’s appointment as Iran’s supreme leader

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoMarch 9, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Iran to mark Eid al-Fitr tomorrow
    Supreme leader of Iran Mojtaba Khamenei
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    China stated on Monday that Iran’s decision to appoint Mojtaba Khamenei as its new supreme leader following his father’s assassination was an internal matter, and it opposed any attempt to harm him.

    Israel’s military has promised to assassinate any successor to former supreme leader Ali Khamenei, who was murdered over a week ago in the first round of US-Israeli strikes on Iran.

    China’s foreign ministry spokesperson, Guo Jiakun, told reporters on Monday that Iran’s decision to appoint the younger Khamenei was “based on its constitution.”

    “China opposes interference in other countries’ internal affairs under any pretext, and Iran’s sovereignty, security, and territorial integrity should be respected,” he said when asked about the threats against the new leader.

    Mojtaba Khamenei, the second son of the late Ali Khamenei, was named Iran’s new supreme leader, according to Iranian state media.

    The 56-year-old cleric was announced as his father’s successor on Sunday following a vote by the Assembly of Experts, the group of senior clerics responsible for appointing the Islamic Republic’s highest authority.

    His appointment comes just days after his father was reportedly killed in joint strikes carried out by the United States and Israel last Saturday.

    In recent years, Mojtaba Khamenei had increasingly been mentioned within Iranian political circles as a potential successor to his father, although he had never publicly addressed the possibility.

    Before the official announcement, Hosseinali Eshkevari, a member of the Assembly of Experts, hinted that the leadership decision had already been finalized.

    “The name of Khamenei will continue,” Eshkevari said in a video circulated by Iranian media.

    “The vote has been cast and will be announced soon.”

    In Iran’s political system, the supreme leader holds ultimate authority over the state, sitting above the president and exercising final control over the military, judiciary, and key national policies.

    Mojtaba Khamenei’s rise has already sparked debate among observers who say the move could resemble a hereditary transfer of power similar to the monarchy that existed before the Iranian Revolution.

    Israel and the United States have continued to pound Iran in recent days, and Iran has replied by launching waves of missile and drone attacks on Israel and Gulf neighbors that host US personnel.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliott withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    May 20, 2026
    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.