Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Cristiano Ronaldo topped Ali Daei to be the highest goal scorer in men's football

    Ronaldo leads Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad

    May 19, 2026
    Arsenal players celebrate winning the Premier League title after Manchester City drew with Bournemouth.

    Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth

    May 19, 2026
    Jonathan wins 2025 Sunhak Peace Prize

    PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Ronaldo leads Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad
    • Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth
    • PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race
    • Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west
    • Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’
    • Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak
    • DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation
    • JUST IN: EFCC arrests convicted ex-power minister Mamman in Kaduna
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, May 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Boat with 400 migrants adrift between Greece and Malta

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedApril 9, 2023No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Gunmen abduct 15 in Cross River boat attack
    Boat ride
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    A yacht carrying 400 people is adrift between Greece and Malta and is taking on water, according to the assistance service Alarm Phone on Sunday, after a surge in migrant boats crossing the Mediterranean from North Africa.

    Alarm Phone said on Twitter that they had received a call from the boat, which had left Tobruk, Libya, overnight, and that they had notified authorities. However, officials had not yet initiated a rescue effort, they noted.

    The boat was now in the Maltese Search and Rescue region, according to the Alarm Phone. (SAR).

    The boat was discovered with two commercial ships nearby, according to the German NGO Sea-Watch International.

    According to the report, the Maltese authorities instructed the ships not to perform a rescue and that one of them was only requested to provide it with gasoline.

    It was not feasible to contact Maltese officials for comment right away.

    • 20 migrants missing as boat sinks off Tunisia

    People on board were terrified, according to Alarm Phone, with many seeking medical assistance. They said that the ship was out of gasoline and that its bottom deck was filled with water, that the skipper had fled, and that there was no one who could control the boat.

    Another NGO, Germany’s Resqship, said on Sunday that at least 23 migrants perished in a different shipwreck in the Mediterranean.

    It said on Twitter that the NGO discovered 25 individuals in the sea during a rescue operation and that its personnel was able to collect 22 survivors and two corpses, despite being informed that around 20 additional people had already perished.

    Last week, 440 migrants were rescued off the coast of Malta by the Doctors Without Borders (MSF) charity’s Geo Barents vessel following a challenging 11-hour operation in rough seas.

    At least 23 African migrants were missing and four died on Saturday after their two boats sank off Tunisia as they tried to reach Italy.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Jonathan wins 2025 Sunhak Peace Prize

    PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race

    Sunday Igboho backs Kemi Badenoch, tells Shettima to focus on Nigeria’s 

    Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west

    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak

    DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation

    DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation

    Former Power Minister Saleh Mamman arrested by EFCC operatives in Kaduna after corruption conviction and sentencing.

    JUST IN: EFCC arrests convicted ex-power minister Mamman in Kaduna

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Cristiano Ronaldo topped Ali Daei to be the highest goal scorer in men's football

    Ronaldo leads Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad

    May 19, 2026
    Arsenal players celebrate winning the Premier League title after Manchester City drew with Bournemouth.

    Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth

    May 19, 2026
    Jonathan wins 2025 Sunhak Peace Prize

    PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race

    May 19, 2026
    Sunday Igboho backs Kemi Badenoch, tells Shettima to focus on Nigeria’s 

    Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west

    May 19, 2026
    Jonathan: Abaribe urges Gowon to 'write his own book, reveal truth about 1966 coup'

    Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.