Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    February 16, 2026
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Social network X restored after global outage
    • Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others
    • US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links
    • Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack
    • Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects
    • APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders
    • Natasha in fresh clash at senate committee chairman’s office
    • Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Benin Bronzes: Looted artefacts returned to Nigeria from Germany

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedDecember 20, 2022No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Benin Bronzes artefacts on display at Horniman museum small
    Benin artefacts on display at Horniman museum
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    BeninGermany’s Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock has handed 20 artefacts looted in the 19th Century back to Nigeria at a ceremony in the capital, Abuja.

    The return of this set of Benin Bronzes follows a deal made earlier this year to transfer ownership of more than 1,000 of these precious objects.

    In July, Nigeria said it was the first time a European country had entered into this kind of agreement.

    Ms Baerbock said it was part of efforts to deal with a “dark colonial history”.

    • Germany hands over Benin bronzes to Nigeria

    Speaking in Abuja on Tuesday, she added that it was an opportunity to right some of the wrongs of the past.

    Among the objects returned were some of the famous ceremonial heads, an ivory carving, as well as a decorated plaque.

    Moves to return objects stolen in the colonial era have been gathering momentum in recent years as European countries and museums grapple with how artefacts came into their possession.

    The term Benin Bronzes refers to thousands of metal sculptures, plaques and carvings made between the 15th and 19th Centuries and looted by British troops in 1897 from the West African kingdom of Benin, in modern-day Nigeria’s Edo state.

    The sculptures, prized for their beauty and technical artistry, are of spiritual and historical significance for the people from that part of Nigeria. Their theft still remains a point of pain for the descendants of those from the ancient Benin kingdom.

    After being shipped to the UK in the late 19th Century, many were auctioned off in London and some were bought by German collectors, Germany’s foreign ministry has said.

    The country has been holding around 1,100 of the estimated 5,000 that were taken, it added in a statement.

    Others are in the archives of museums in the UK, including the British Museum, which has the largest single collection of around 900 objects. An act of parliament prevents the British Museum from returning them.

    But last month, London’s Horniman Museum, which is a private charity, handed back dozens of items including some Benin Bronzes to Nigerian ownership – making it the first museum in the UK to officially take such action on this scale.

    Nigeria’s National Commission for Museums and Monuments has issued formal repatriation requests to museums across the world.

    In 2026, the government plans to open the Edo Museum of West African Art in Benin City, which is being designed by British-Ghanaian architect Sir David Adjaye, to house the largest collection of Benin Bronzes ever assembled.

    In the colonial era Germany governed parts of West, East and Southern Africa until the end of World War One.

    Last year, it officially acknowledged committing genocide during its occupation of Namibia.

    German colonisers killed tens of thousands of Ovaherero and Nama people there between 1904 and 1908.

    In recent years, Germany has returned human remains to Namibia, some of which were used in now-discredited research into racial classification.

    Source: BBC

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    February 16, 2026
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    February 16, 2026
    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    February 16, 2026
    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.