- Gunmen attack six Benue communities, kill many residents
- Obasanjo tells Adeleke to continue good governance in Osun
- Many feared dead as gunmen attack Plateau, destroy 45 houses
- REVEALED: Why Edo assembly removed Agbebaku as speaker
- Yekini Idiaye emerges new Edo assembly speaker
- Enenche demands census to determine Nigeria’s Christian-Muslim population
- Edo assembly speaker resigns amid impeachment fears
- Ayetoro: How the Atlantic Ocean is swallowing Nigerian fishing community
Author: Vincent Osuwo
Troops of Operation HADIN KAI killed at least 50 alleged Islamic State West Africa Province terrorists during a coordinated attack on the 27 Brigade Headquarters in Buni Gari, Yobe State. The Nigerian Army confirmed this in a statement published on Saturday by Sani Uba, Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force (North East), Operation HADIN KAI. According to the statement, the terrorists launched the attack at around 2 a.m. on Thursday from numerous directions, aiming for the brigade headquarters and the Buni Gari checkpoint. According to the army, the attackers pushed from the western flank before reinforcing along the…
US President Donald Trump has announced a three-day ceasefire between Russia and Ukraine after both countries accused each other of violating separate ceasefires declared by each side to cover the celebrations of the Soviet Union’s victory over Nazi Germany. “This ceasefire will include a suspension of all kinetic activity and also a prisoner swap of 1,000 prisoners from each country,” the US president said. President Volodymyr Zelensky confirmed Ukraine’s participation, while Russian state media also said Russia had agreed to the proposal. Earlier, both sides claimed the other had continued to strike their positions, and Moscow’s mayor stated the city…
Lionel Messi believes Argentina fans are right to dream of a second World Cup title but warns that other competitors, especially France and Spain, “are in better shape.” “There are a lot of guys who are dealing with injuries or a lack of match fitness, but the truth is that when the group is together, it has been proven that it competes and always wants to win,” the eight-time Ballon d’Or winner said of Argentina in an interview with host Pollo Alvarez published on YouTube. However, Messi, who has elevated Inter Miami to the status of a must-see team in…
Nigerian Afrobeats star Rema has been named to an all-star lineup of global music stars that will headline the opening ceremony of the 2026 FIFA World Cup in the United States. South African artist Tyla, American rapper Future, pop queen Katy Perry, Brazilian singer Anitta, and BLACKPINK member LISA will all join Rema on stage at the Los Angeles Stadium. FIFA confirmed this in a statement issued on Saturday via its official Twitter account. According to the football governing organization, three opening ceremonies will be staged individually in the three host countries, with the United States celebrating on Friday, June…
Air Peace has reported a slight disruption to its scheduled Lagos-London Gatwick flight after a routine mechanical inspection revealed a small fault with the aircraft. Air Peace’s management published a statement via its X handle on Saturday, stating that the issue was found after passengers had already boarded the aircraft, causing the airline to withdraw the jet from service in accordance with safety standards. “Following the completion of passenger boarding, a routine post-boarding technical check identified a minor aircraft fault that required immediate attention,” the airline said. The airline claimed that all passengers had safely departed as engineers worked to…
Gov. Abba Yusuf has been allowed by the All Progressives Congress (APC) to run for a second term as governor of Kano State in 2027. Sunusi Bature Dawakin Tofa, the governor’s spokesperson, issued a statement on Friday confirming this. According to the statement, the permission came after the governor’s nomination and screening paperwork were submitted and successfully screened by the party’s National Working Committee. According to the statement, a team chaired by APC National Chairman Nentawe Yilwatda conducted the screening exercise at the Plateau Governor’s Lodge. During the exercise, Yilwatda stated that the party was happy with the governor’s performance…
Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar and former Minister of Transportation Rotimi Amaechi have secured the African Democratic Congress’ declaration of interest and nomination forms for the 2027 general elections. Another presidential candidate, Mohammed Hayatu-Deen, has also signed the form, promising to prioritize security, job creation, and the growing cost of living that affects millions of Nigerians. The National Publicity Secretary of the ADC, Bolaji Abdullahi, revealed on Friday that the three hopefuls had already obtained the forms. “Yes, the three of them (Atiku, Amaechi, and Hayatu-Deen) have obtained the forms,” he said. The presidential nomination form costs N90 million. Hayatu-Deen,…
The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has called on the Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) to lead a mass educational and sensitization campaign across South African communities and workplaces to combat xenophobia and protect migrant workers. In a letter dated May 7, 2026, and addressed to the president of COSATU in Johannesburg, NLC president Joe Ajaero warned that South Africa could not claim to defend the working class while allowing African migrants to be hunted and killed. Ajaero said, “We cannot claim to fight for the working class while allowing a section of that class to be hunted like…
Federico Valverde has delivered an emotional public apology after reports emerged that he was involved in a heated training-ground dispute with teammate Aurélien Tchouaméni at Real Madrid. The Uruguayan midfielder broke his silence in a lengthy message released by veteran journalist Fabrizio Romano on social media following numerous claims that tensions inside the Madrid dressing room deteriorated during training this week. “I’m sorry. I’m truly sorry because this situation hurts me; this moment we’re going through is painful,” Valverde wrote as he addressed fans and attempted to calm speculation surrounding the incident. The midfielder admitted to having issues with a…
Spanish giant Real Madrid announced on Friday they had fined Aurelien Tchouameni and Federico Valverde 500,000 euros ($588,000) each after a training ground clash that left the latter needing hospital treatment. The club did not impose any sports sanctions on the two players, instead stating in a statement that the fine “thereby concludes the internal procedures” initiated against them. Valverde will miss Sunday’s Clasico against Barcelona as a result of the head injury he suffered during the altercation. The club stated that he would be out for up to two weeks. Tchouameni participated in training on Friday and could play…











