Author: Opalim Lifted

Mohbad: Naira Marley, Sam Larry released from police custody

A Magistrate’s Court sitting in Yaba, Lagos State, on Monday granted singer Azeez Fashola, also known as Naira Marley, and Lagos socialite Balogun Eletu, known as Sam Larry, bail in the sum of N20 million with three responsible duties. Naira Marley, Sam Larry, and two others were arraigned and remanded on October 6 over their alleged involvement in circumstances surrounding the death of a musician, Ilerioluwa Aloba, popularly known as Mohbad. The magistrate, Adeola Olatunbosun, told the defendants to submit their passports and ordered that they report weekly to the State Criminal Investigation Department, Panti. “As part of the bail…

Read More
China sentences ex-defence ministers to death over corruption

The Court of Appeal in Abuja has sacked Ilyasu Kwankwaso of the All Progressives Congress and reinstated Umar Datti of the New Nigeria People’s Party in the Kura/Madobi/Garun Malam Federal Constituency Election. The appellate court reinstated New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) candidate Umar Datti. The three-judge panel, presided over by Justice Tunde Oyebamiji Awotoye, allowed NNPP’s appeal in its ruling. Justice Awotoye ruled that the tribunal was wrong to have counted the date of the appellant’s resignation on the date of his party’s primary election. The judge noted that Section 77 of the Electoral Act was misapplied. Hence, no court…

Read More
UI medical student dies after alleged sniper ingestion

The Lagos State Police Command has confirmed the death of a 39-year-old woman, Lilian Nwarache, who drank an insecticide on Friday in the Iwaya area of Lagos State. She was said to have been frustrated with having an illness. Nwarache was reported to have been suffering from a protracted illness and had been seeking a cure in a church in Iwaya, but became frustrated by the condition and drank a full bottle of insecticide on November 3, 2023. She was alleged to have tried to jump into a canal after drinking the insecticide, but was prevented by passersby and was…

Read More

Residents and business owners of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, have decried the epileptic power supply being experienced in FCT and berated the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC). The residents said AEDC was not living up to expectations and urged it to improve its services. The electricity consumers, who spoke with the newsmen in Abuja yesterday, decried the poor power supply to their business premises and homes. According to them, the power supply has declined compared to how it has been in the past. Meanwhile, it would be recalled that AEDC had, in a recent notice, informed customers that the…

Read More
US-Iran peace deal set for signing in Switzerland on Friday

Israel has come under sustained pressure on Monday to avoid civilian casualties during its assault on Gaza, while a US diplomatic blitz in the region sought to reduce the risks of the conflict escalating, having rebuffed calls for a ceasefire. US Secretary of State Antony Blinken was due to meet with Turkey’s foreign minister in Ankara on Monday, hours after hundreds of people at a pro-Palestinian protest tried to storm an air base that houses US troops in southern Turkey. Blinken on Sunday made an unannounced visit to the West Bank to meet with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, who…

Read More
Stampedes: Police ban unauthorised distribution of palliatives, funfairs 

The Inspector General of Police, Olukayode Egbetokun, has ordered the immediate redeployment of the state commissioner of police, Mohammed Barde, to the Force Headquarters in Abuja ahead of the November 11, 2023, governorship election in Imo State. Olumuyiwa Adejobi, Force Public Relations Officer, said in a statement on Sunday that the IG’s decision to redeploy the CP underscored the police force’s dedication to upholding the rule of law and maintaining strict neutrality throughout the electoral proceedings. Adejobi said, “This redeployment is not an indictment on the affected officer but is rather part of a broader strategy aimed at bolstering security…

Read More
Luis Diaz: Four arrested over kidnap of footballer's father

Luis Diaz came off the bench to salvage a point for Liverpool with a stoppage-time goal on his Premier League return at Luton. Diaz’s father remains missing after his parents were kidnapped in Colombia, and the forward lifted his shirt to show a message of “freedom for papa” after heading into Harvey Elliott’s cross five minutes into added time. It was a poignant and remarkable conclusion to a contest in which Luton had appeared on course for a deserved first league win of the season at Kenilworth Road and a first victory over the Reds since February 1991. Substitute Tahith…

Read More
Stampedes: Police ban unauthorised distribution of palliatives, funfairs 

The Inspector General of Police, Olukayode Egbetokun, has promised to redeploy the Imo State Commissioner of Police, Mohammed Barde,over alleged partisanship ahead of the Saturday, November 11, off-season elections. He spoke days after the Nigerian Labour Congress, the Trade Union Congress, the Labour Party, and civil society organisations called for Barde’s redeployment. Egbetokun made the development known Sunday night during a Channels Television programme themed “Peoples Town Hall On Election Security,” which was monitored by our correspondent. Egbetokun said, “We are aware that there are allegations against the Commissioner of Police in Imo. Before the elections, we’re changing the CP.…

Read More
Gas leak scare forces Ogun school relocation amid methane findings

The Ogun State Government is set to commence the verification process for the producers of table water and beverages in the state as part of moves to curb the cholera outbreak, which has killed at least 12 people. The Commissioner for Environment, Mr. Ola Oresanya, according to a statement made available to reporters on Sunday, disclosed this during a stakeholders meeting with the Table Water and Beverages Producers Association of Nigeria held at the Ministry’s Conference Hall, Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta. Mr. Oresanya said that the meeting was necessary for the agency to know those who are registered water producers who are…

Read More
SERAP urges probe into alleged vote-buying and violence during Osun election

The Socio-Economic and Accountability Project (SERAP) has filed a lawsuit against President Bola Tinubu over “the failure to probe the grim allegations that over US$15 billion in oil revenues and N200 billion budgeted to repair the refineries in Nigeria are missing and unaccounted for between 2020 and 2021.” Chronicle NG reports that the allegations are contained in the 2021 report by the Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (NEITI). In the suit number FHC/L/CS/2334/2023 filed last Friday at the Federal High Court in Lagos, SERAP is seeking “an order of mandamus to direct and compel President Tinubu to probe the allegations…

Read More