- 65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak
- NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets
- Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction
- Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings
- Bruno Fernandes equals assist record as Man United beat Forest 3-2
- Frank Edoho laments, says ‘I don’t want to die because of a woman’
- Chelsea appoint Alonso as new manager after turbulent season
- SERAP urges INEC to probe alleged N800bn APC campaign fund diversion
Author: Chronicle Editor
No fewer than 20 persons were killed in a night attack by suspected gunmen at Ancha Village of Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau. A resident of the area told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that the attack took place in the late hours of Thursday. The source, who preferred anonymity, also told NAN that the attack left scores severely injured. The spokesperson of the Plateau Police Command, ASP Terna Tyopev, confirmed the attack but could not give details. “Yes, we are aware of the attack, but we don’t have the details now. READ: Gunmen kidnap 19 from bus…
Gunmen kidnapped 19 bus passengers near Nigeria’s southern oil hub, Port Harcourt, police said on Friday, in the latest of a series of abductions in recent weeks. Rivers state police spokesman Nnamdi Omoni said the attack happened on Thursday and that police had so far managed to rescue 12 of the victims. “Security operatives are still combing the bush the victims were taken into,” he told reporters. Kidnapping for ransom has long been a problem in southern Nigeria and has typically targeted prominent individuals or their families. READ: Mexico’s strongest quake in century kills 27 Victims are usually released after…
An earthquake described by Mexico’s president as the country’s strongest in a century has struck off the southern coast, killing at least 27 people. The quake, which President Enrique Peña Nieto said measured 8.2, struck in the Pacific, about 87km (54 miles) south-west of Pijijiapan. A tsunami warning was issued for Mexico, with three-metre-high waves possible, and other nearby countries. Severe damage has been reported in Oaxaca and Chiapas states. The quake, which struck at 23:50 local time on Thursday (04:50 GMT Friday), was felt in Mexico City, with buildings swaying and people running into the street. READ: Restructuring is…
An earthquake described by Mexico’s president as the country’s strongest in a century has struck off the southern coast, killing at least 15 people. The quake, which President Enrique Peña Nieto said measured 8.2, struck in the Pacific, about 87km (54 miles) south-west of Pijijiapan. A tsunami warning was issued for Mexico, with three-metre-high waves possible, and other nearby countries. Severe damage has been reported in Oaxaca and Chiapas states. The quake, which struck at 23:50 local time on Thursday (04:50 GMT Friday), was felt in Mexico City, with buildings swaying and people running into the street. The tremors there,…
Former Ogun state governor, Otunba Gbenga Daniel has explained that the Yoruba Agenda for proper restructuring is not about secession, but remains sine qua non for progress and development of Nigeria. He stated this at the The Yoruba Summit on restructuring held at Adamasingba Stadium, Ibadan on Thursday. In his speech at the occasion, Otunba Daniel said the summit marks a watershed in the history of Nigeria’s political evolution as people from all walks of life were ably represented and spoke with one voice. This, according to him, was a clear signal that the cry for proper restructuring of our…
A magnitude 8.4 earthquake has been reported off the coast of Mexico, with residents told to evacuate and a tsunami warning issued for the region and neighbouring countries. The quake struck 200km south-west of the city of Tuxtla Gutiérrez just after midnight on Thursday local time, and was said to be the strongest earthquake to hit the country since 1985, according to the civil protection agency. The Pacific tsunami warning centre said hazardous waves could be possible “within the next three hours” for the coasts of Mexico, Guatemala, El Savador, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama, Honduras and Ecuador. Read Also North…
North Korea’s capital Pyongyang was full of activities on Thursday as the country celebrated its successful nuclear test carried out on Sunday. Fireworks blazed through the sky in Pyongyang as thousands of people attended a mass rally to celebrate the administration of President Kim Jong Un. Speakers at the rally vowed to end “the destiny of the gangster-like U.S. imperialists.” The scientists responsible for developing the supposed hydrogen bomb that was detonated Sunday were welcomed to streets of cheering citizens leading to Pyongyang’s Kim Il Sung Square. Photos and a video released by the official Korean Central News Agency showed…
• ASUU insists on N200b revitalisation fund • Resident doctors may end strike today The Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, has disclosed that the Federal Government has begun the payment of salary arrears of the striking university teachers. But the lecturers, under the aegis of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) insisted that the Federal Government must remit N200 billion into the universities’ revitalisation fund before the ongoing strike can be suspended. ASUU leaders, who came to the negotiation table with a former President of the union, Prof. Assisi Asobie and President of the Nigeria Labour Congress…
Britain is sending a military vessel to assist victims of Hurricane Irma in the Caribbean and is assigning £12 million ($15.7 million, 13 million euros) in aid, the government said Thursday. Hurricane Irma — one of the most powerful Atlantic storms on record — has hit the Caribbean, claiming at least nine lives and turning the tropical islands of Barbuda and St Martin into mountains of rubble. The British fleet auxiliary boat RFA Mounts Bay is already in the region and “should reach the affected territories later today,” Alan Duncan, a junior British foreign minister, told parliament. He also said…
The Kogi State Government has ordered the immediate evacuation of traders, shanties and temporary structures around the Nataco Junction axis of the Okene/Lokoja/Abuja Expressway in Lokoja following the flash floods that occurred there today, 7 September 2017. This is in continuation of the administration’s efforts to protect lives and properties of the citizens of the state as part of the sensitization program being carried out by the Kogi State Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources. The Hon. Commissioner, Mrs Rosemary Osikoya, said the sensitization program, which began three months before the flooding season commenced, had ensured that, although certain parts…












