- APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders
- Natasha in fresh clash at senate committee chairman’s office
- Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast
- FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone
- US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links
- Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution
- BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation
- Nigerians ‘paying for darkness’, Ajaero slams power sector reform as failure
Author: Chronicle Editor
…As Lagos CP bags most outstanding anti-crime police chief Security Watch Africa, organisers of the African Security Summit has named Lagos State Governor, Mr Akinwunmi Ambode as the ‘Most Innovative African Leader in Governance in West and Central Africa’. The State Government also bagged a Golden Star Award in recognition of its Exemplary Service in Africa. The awards were presented to the Government at a ceremony held in Accra, Ghana at the weekend. Governor Ambode was nominated for the award after a careful selection process by a selection board who considered him the most qualified for the award based on…
The Operations Controller, Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) Warri zone, Mr Antai Asuquo said it sealed 70 filling stations for alleged sharp practices in parts of Delta in past six weeks. Asuquo disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday in Warri. Asuquo said that the stations were sanctioned for hoarding, under-dispensing, over-pricing, abandonment and diversion of products. He said that the stations were sealed in Warri, Ughelli, Sapele, Ozoro, Olleh, Kwale, Agbor, Obiaruku and Asaba. According to him, the 70 stations are part of over 446 filling stations visited by the department’s surveillance…
A Karmo Grade 1 Area Court, Abuja, on Tuesday sentenced two men, Richard Christian and Komolafe Segun, to six months imprisonment each for stealing seven cell phones in a Mountain of Fire Ministries, MFM, church. Christian and Segun, both 24, were arraigned on a two-count charge of conspiracy and stealing, offences they admitted committing, and begged for leniency. The judge, Abubakar Sadiq, however, gave each of the convicts an option of N20, 000 fine and warned them to desist from committing crime. Prosecutor Dalhatu Zannah, had told the court that the convicts committed the offences on February 2, at the…
The Nigerian Security and Civil Defense Corps (NSCDC) has confirmed that two of its men were killed by rampaging herdsmen in Benue state. The Public Relations Officer of the Benue State Command of the NSCDC, Mr Adakole John Peter, said the men were killed on Sunday in Awange village of Kasseyo Ward in Guma Local Government Area. The officers were killed when herdsmen stormed the village 5 pm on Sunday and engaged security operatives in a gun battle, he explained. He identified the officers as Adams Godwin, an Assistant Superintendent of the Corps, and Abah Patrick, a Senior Corp Assistant.…
German authorities have reported that most of the new asylum-seekers to the country are from Nigeria, Syria and Iraq even as it reports a slump in asylum seekers. Germany say 12,285 people applied for asylum in the country in January, a 15 per cent drop compared to the requests received in January 2017. In January 2017, Germany recorded 14,476 new asylum requests. Some 13,082 people applied for asylum in December. Interior Ministry figures published Tuesday show most new asylum seekers last month originated from Syria, Iraq and Nigeria. The number of new asylum requests in Germany has steadily declined since…
A Federal High Court in Kainji has sentenced Haruna Yahaya, one of the abductors of Chibok schoolgirls to 15 years in prison, at the resumed trials of Boko Haram suspects. He was among 20 Boko Haram terrorists who were jailed yesterday to serve various prison terms. Yahaya, 35, a physically challenged person, was found guilty of taking part in the abduction of over 200 girls from Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State in April, 2014. The closed trial is taking place at Wawa Catonment, Kainji, Niger State. Yahaya, a former trader from Potiskum, Yobe State had pleaded for mercy,…
Eden Hazard scored twice as Chelsea recovered from Premier League defeats by Bournemouth and Watford to beat bottom club West Brom and ease the pressure on manager Antonio Conte. Hazard set the Blues on the way to a first home league win of 2018 by shooting home after playing a one-two with Olivier Giroud, making his first start since signing from Arsenal. Jay Rodriguez, Salomon Rondon and Jonny Evans all wasted chances for the Baggies before Chelsea sealed victory. Victor Moses fired home the second before visiting goalkeeper Ben Foster was again beaten by Hazard. READ: Again Antonio Conte…
Joy Goodluck a young nursing mother jailed for three years in Port Harcourt for stealing a half bag of cassava has regained her freedom. Joy, who was pregnant at the time of her trial in 2016, was released on the order of Justice Usman Bello Ishaq, chairman of National Stakeholders Committee on the Prison Reform and Decongestion. Justice Ishaq is also Chief Judge of the Federal Capital Territory High Court in Abuja. The lady from Imo state, was a month pregnant at the time of the offence. She was set free last week, along with her baby after she narrated…
The Speaker of House of Representatives, Mr Yakubu Dogara, says the National Assembly will not allow concession of any national economic assets. Dogara said this on Monday in Ajaokuta, Kogi, after a facility tour of Ajaokuta Steel Complex in company with the state governor, Alhaji Yahaya Bello. He said that facilities at the complex were capable of transforming the country and blamed the collapse of the steel company over the years on lack of political leadership. He said that there was no reason for the company to have failed. READ: Vanessa Trump in hospital after opening white powder envelope Dogara…
The US president’s daughter-in-law, Vanessa Trump, was taken to hospital as a precaution after opening an envelope containing white powder, police say. The letter was addressed to Donald Trump Jr, Mr Trump’s eldest son, at his apartment in Manhattan. Mrs Trump and two others at the scene were decontaminated by firefighters and taken to hospital for evaluation. NYPD told the BBC they tested the white powder in the envelope and confirmed that it was non-hazardous. They said that Mrs Trump did not appear to be physically affected by the substance. The Fire Department of New York (FDNY) referred calls from…











