Author: Chronicle Editor

Missouri Governor Eric Greitens was docked by the police in February

Missouri Governor Eric Greitens has been charged with felony invasion of privacy in connection with an inquiry into his extramarital affair. The woman alleges that he tied her up, photographed her and threatened to release the image if she ever revealed their trysts. The Republican, who was taken into custody on Thursday, maintains his innocence, said his lawyer. Mr Greitens admitted last month he had a relationship with his hairdresser. Critics have called his alleged actions “revenge porn” and blackmail. The charge sheet alleges Mr Greitens took a picture of the unidentified woman in “full or partial nudity” without…

Read More
Oloye Jumoke Akinjide, former FCT minister has returned N650m to EFCC

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has rejected an offer for an out-of-court settlement on N650 million fraud by a former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Jumoke Akinjide. EFCC told a Federal High Court in Lagos that it was turning down the offer. Akinjide was charged along with former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs Diezani Alison-Madueke, who is said to be at large, a former Senator, Ayo Adeseun and a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) stalwart, Chief Olarenwaju Otiti. They were accused of conspiring to directly take possession of N650 million which they reasonably ought to have known…

Read More

The Chairman of the APC Governors’ Forum, Rochas Okorocha of Imo, said President Muhammadu Buhari would soon address the nation on whether he will seek re-election in 2019. Okorocha stated this when he briefed State House correspondents after a closed-door meeting between the President and the APC governors held on Thursday night at the Presidential Villa, Abuja. He said the president would also address the caucus of the APC on the matter. “We discussed so many issues that affect the nation, our party and Mr President’s ambition to run for 2019 elections. “Anyhow, Mr President in his usual manner…

Read More
Sanwo-Olu celebrates Tinubu at 73

All Progressives Congress (APC) national leader, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has accused National Chairman John Odigie-Oyegun of sabotaging his reconciliation efforts in the party. In a February 21 letter of complaint to Oyegun, Tinubu said the chairman had compounded the challenge of reconciliation by taking “improper unilateral decisions” on issues affecting national and state chapters. Tinubu added that Odigie-Oyegun had refused to cooperate by delaying the release of information critical to the resolution of crises in state chapters. The former Lagos State Governor made the observations in the letter to titled: “Actions and conduct weakening the party from within”, copies…

Read More
Europa

A police officer has died during clashes between fans before Athletic Bilbao’s home Europa League match against Spartak Moscow at San Mames. The officer from the Ertzaintza – the Basque Country’s police force – reportedly suffered a heart attack. More than 500 officers were deployed for the fixture and reports say at least five arrests were made. “Our condolences to colleagues, friends and relatives of the Ertzaina deceased in act of service,” Bilbao police said. After the game, the La Liga club tweeted: “Our heartfelt condolences to the family and companions of the deceased officer today. “The Athletic Club shows…

Read More

Michy Batshuayi says he heard “monkey noises in the stands” as Borussia Dortmund knocked Atalanta out of the Europa League in Bergamo. The on-loan Chelsea forward tweeted: “2018 and still racists monkey noises in the stands … really ?! “Hope you have fun watching the rest of the Europa League on TV while we are through.” 2018 and still racists monkey noises in the stands … really ?! ????????‍♂️ hope you have fun watching the rest of @EuropaLeague on TV while we are through ???????????? #SayNoToRacism #GoWatchBlackPanther ✌???? — Michy Batshuayi (@mbatshuayi) February 22, 2018 Dortmund won 4-3 on…

Read More

Yobe state governor, Ibrahim Gaidam on Thursday told residents of a village that no missing girls had been rescued following a Boko Haram attack, according to four of those who heard the official speak. On Wednesday, the government of the northeastern state, where the girls’ village of Dapchi is located, told locals that 76 schoolgirls feared missing had been rescued by the Nigerian military. Alhaji Abdullahi Bego, Director General to Yobe governor on press affairs disclosed through a press statement that the Nigerian Army had rescued some of the 111 missing schoolgirls. The statement read, “The Yobe State Government…

Read More
Osinbajo takes Buhari's legacy to APC NEC meeting

Prof. Yemi Osinbajo has called on African oil producing nations to collaborate to enable them tackle new challenges facing the region in the sector. Osinbajo made the call at the close of the maiden edition of the Nigerian International Petroleum Summit, (NIPS) on Thursday in Abuja. He raised concerns that the development of alternatives to crude oil in Europe and Asia would pose serious challenge for Nigeria and other African countries. According to him, discovery of these alternatives calls for increased synergies, collaboration and knowledge sharing among oil-producing countries in Africa. He said, “The challenge for Africa is certainly…

Read More

Nigeria’s Dangote Group has signed a deal to commence the building of integrated sugar plants in six states in Nigeria. The Chairman of the group, who is also Africa’s richest man, Alhaji Aliko Dangote, made the announcement at a forum in Lagos to honour major distributors of Dangote Foods in Lagos on Thursday. He said that the plants, expected to generate up to 100,000 jobs, would be built in Adamawa, Taraba, Nasarawa, Kwara, Kogi and Niger. He, however, did not state the cost implication of building the plants or the name of the company handling the projects. “We are…

Read More
Inter Milan offered to pay £150,000 of Alexis Sanchez's £400,000 weekly wages

Manchester United have unveiled their own official YouTube account – the club’s latest attempt at expanding their brand under executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward. Woodward said last year that they intended to ‘aggressively market’ their in-house channel MUTV with United taking greater control of the news that comes out of the club. Setting up their own YouTube channel will allow the Premier League side to publish their own interviews and provide their own behind-the-scenes content for supporters. Jose Mourinho’s Red Devils already dominate social media with 17.4m followers on Twitter, 73.8m on Facebook and 20.9m on Instagram. ▶ Now playing…

Read More