- Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe
- Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS
- Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash
- FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu
- Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0
- Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations
- Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday
- Customs seize N1bn worth of cocaine at Badagry–Seme border
Author: Chronicle Editor
A vehicle has struck a barrier outside the White House and a woman has been detained, the Secret Service says. “An individual driving a passenger vehicle struck a security barrier near the White House at 17th & E,” it said. No officials were injured and US Secret Service officers arrested 35-year-old Jessica Ford of La Vergne, Tennessee, US media report. Mental health issues reportedly may have played a factor in the incident. Ms Ford was arrested while attempting to climb the White House fence in spring last year, according to the Washington Post. She was arrested again in July last…
Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna state has filed a suit at the State High Court seeking N2 billion damages against Senator Shehu Sani, who has promptly denied making any derogatory statement against the governor. The governor filed a four defamation charge against the senator representing Kaduna Central zone. The governor, who personally filed the suit on Friday, is seeking compensation for the injury he allegedly suffered as a result of “the malicious statements” by Senator Sani. He accused the lawmaker of calling him an embarrassment to President Muhammadu Buhari among others. El-Rufai is also seeking a declaration that the derogatory…
Justice Rita Ofili-Ajumogobia of the Federal High Court has been re-arraigned for alleged involvement in an unlawful enrichment and conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, Channels TV reports. Also arraigned along with her by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, SAN, Mr. Godwin Obla. They were re-arraigned before Justice Hakeem Oshodi of a Lagos High Court sitting at Ikeja after the EFCC amended the charges against them. The duo was first arraigned in November 2016 on 30-counts but the new charge has 31 counts. In the fresh charges, Justice Ofili-Ajumogobia was, among…
The police have arrested a pastor in Afam, Rivers State, for allegedly killing a nine-month-old girl and two women who are members of his church. The Commissioner of Police, Mr Zaki Ahmed, alleged that the pastor committed the murder on December 13, 2017. Ahmed who spoke through his Deputy, Mr. Cyril Okoro, said on Friday that the victims are Mrs Ada Ezeawa, Mrs. Uluoma Onweagbo and her nine-month old baby, Christabel Joseph. “The pastor in a most bizarre manner gruesomely murdered three of his own flock, including an unborn child,”Okoro said. According to him, the pastor had a sexual…
The Anti-Open Grazing Law in Benue has recorded a huge success as a Makurdi Magistrates’ Court on Friday sentenced three herders, Iliya Garba, Hassan Abdullahi, and Lanshak Lonfalk, to one year imprison each, for violating the law enacted in 2017. The convicts were charged with criminal conspiracy and open nomadic livestock rearing and grazing. The offences are punishable under Sections 97 of the Penal Code and 19 (2) of the Open Grazing Prohibition Ranches Establishment Law of Benue, 2017. The prosecutor, Inspector Michael Iorundu, told the court that the joint patrol team of ‘Operation Zenda’, led by Sgt. Edward Shinyi,…
Following months of speculation and anticipation, AfricaMagic, in association with Multichoice, has announced the call to entry for the 2018 edition of the Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards (AMVCAs), the prestigious initiative that honours film and TV talents across the continent. Billed to hold on the 1 September, this year’s edition of the AMVCAs is sponsored by Konga and supported by Nokia and Heritage Bank. The AMVCAs celebrate the contribution of African filmmakers, actors and technicians in the success of the continent’s film and television industry and with the success of the previous five editions, preparations are in top gear…
A Federal high court sitting in Lagos Southwest, Nigeria has adjourned till 27 March 2018 for hearing a N340 million suit filed against Cornerstone Insurance Company, and one of its subsidiary, Cornerstone Assurance by a Nigerian actor, Mr Ahmed Afolabi Roleola for alleged unauthorized use and exploitation of his photographs and goodwill in their promotional adverts in the form of handbills, posters and brochure calculated to mislead and deceive the public and an infringement of his right to publicity. Joined as co-defendant is the Advertising Practitioners Council of Nigeria, APCON. In a statement of claim filed before the court in…
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has been charged for breaching the FA’s kit and advertising regulations. The Spaniard’s sanction is for “wearing a political message, specifically a yellow ribbon”, said the Football Association. Guardiola said in November he wears the ribbon to support imprisoned politicians in Catalonia, where he was born. He has until 18:00 GMT on Monday 5 March 2018 to respond to the charge. The FA had spoken to Guardiola about the issue in mid-December and two formal warnings have been given which were ignored. The charge was then triggered when he again wore it pitchside – he…
President Muhammadu Buhari said his government has sent more troops and surveillance aircraft to the entire North East territory on a 24-hour basis, to recover the schoolgirls abducted from the Government Girls Technical College, Dapchi in Yobe State. President Buhari said this today as he also gave assurance to the families of the students abducted on Monday by Boko Haram insurgents, almost four years after a similar abduction of 275 schoolgirls from Chibok Girls Secondary School, in Borno State. The Nigerian leader said no effort will be spared to bring succour to the Dapchi girls and the parents. “Our…
An unprecedented outbreak of a disease that causes bleeding from the vagina has now killed 73 people in Nigeria, according to the latest figures. Health officials in the African country warn cases of Lassa fever have rocketed by nearly 50 per cent in a week. It comes just days after the World Health Organization named the deadly virus in its list of pathogens that pose the most ‘urgent’ threat. At least 913 suspected cases of Lassa fever have been recorded since the turn of the year, Nigeria’s Center for Disease Control states. By contrast, a cumulative toll of cases…











