Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo

    Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo

    February 18, 2026
    Gas leak in Plateau mine kills 37, others hospitalised

    Gas leak in Plateau mine kills 37, others hospitalised

    February 18, 2026
    Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the program.

    Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo
    • Gas leak in Plateau mine kills 37, others hospitalised
    • Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage
    • Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau
    • Vinicius, racism and Mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson 
    • Dangote predicts Naira at N1,100/dollar in 2026
    • Wike berates Amaechi over NASS protest appearance with doctor son
    • Residents flee to Benin Republic as terrorists invade Niger again
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, February 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Antonio Conte questions Tottenham’s ambitions

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJuly 27, 2017No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Antonio Conte has been fined by the FA after he was sent off against Swansea
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Antonio Conte believes there is very little expectation of Tottenham

    Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has questioned Tottenham’s ambition, suggesting they have lower expectations than their Premier League title rivals.

    Spurs chairman Daniel Levy this week defended a lack of signings and railed against “unsustainable” spending.

    They were runners up to Chelsea in the Premier League last term, faltered in the Champions League group stages, and again in the Europa League last 32.

    “If [Spurs] don’t win the title, it’s not a tragedy,” said Antonio Conte.

    “If they don’t arrive in the Champions League, it’s not a tragedy. If they go out in the first round of the Champions League, it’s not a tragedy.

    READ: Barcelona return with £80m Coutinho bid, Wilshere eyes West Ham

    “If they go out after the first game that they play in the Europa League, it’s not a tragedy.

    “Maybe for Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester City, Manchester United and – I don’t know – Liverpool, it is a tragedy. You must understand the status of the team.

    “Every team has to understand what their ambitions are. If their ambitions are to fight for the title or win the Champions League, you must buy expensive players.

    “Otherwise you continue to stay in your level. It’s simple.”

    “My question is this: What are Tottenham’s expectations?”

    Chelsea tried to buy Walker’

    More than £850m has been spent by Premier League sides so far in the summer transfer window, which closes on 31 August, with accountancy firm Deloitte predicting top-flight clubs will surpass the record £1.165bn they spent last summer.

    Chelsea have parted with about £130m for three players – forward Alvaro Morata from Real Madrid, midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko from Monaco and defender Antonio Rudiger from Roma.

    Tottenham, who sold Kyle Walker to Manchester City for £45m, have not made any signings, with Levy saying: “We have a duty to manage the club appropriately.”

    Conte revealed Chelsea “tried to buy” Walker and acknowledged that the market is currently “very difficult”, adding: “I think now every single player is expensive.”

    ‘Kane is one of the best in the world’

    Conte also said Spurs and England striker Harry Kane would be his first pick if he could sign any forward. Kane has finished as the Premier League’s top goalscorer for the past two seasons.

    “Tottenham is a really good squad if they are able to keep all the players,” Antonio Conte said.

    “For me, Kane, now, is one of the best strikers in the world.

    “If I had to buy one striker I would go to Kane. He is a complete striker. He is strong physically, with the ball, without the ball, he fights and he’s strong in the air and acrobatic on the right and the left.

    “If you go to buy Kane now it would be at least £100m.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Vinicius, racism and mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson

    Vinicius, racism and Mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson 

    Borussia Dortmund Niclas Fuellkurg scored the only goal of the match against PSG

    Borussia Dortmund get 2-0 Champions League win over Atalanta

    Desire Doue

    Doue scores brace as PSG comeback to beat 10-man Monaco

    Vinicius Junior scored a spectacular winner for Real Madrid against Benfica in their Champions League play-off first leg, which was stopped for 10 minutes for alleged racist abuse.

    Vinicius scores winner despite racist abuse in Benfica clash

    Galatasaray will head to Turin with a three-goal advantage after recovering from a deficit to defeat Juventus in an intense first leg of their Champions League knockout phase playoff tie.

    Galatasaray thrash Juventus 5-2 in thrilling UCL clash

    Saka, Rice seal Arsenal win over West Ham to go top 

    Saka extends Arsenal stay with fresh five-year contract

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo

    Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo

    February 18, 2026
    Gas leak in Plateau mine kills 37, others hospitalised

    Gas leak in Plateau mine kills 37, others hospitalised

    February 18, 2026
    Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the program.

    Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage

    February 18, 2026
    Troops nab 25 suspected bandits, kidnappers along Benue highway 

    Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau

    February 18, 2026
    Vinicius, racism and mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson

    Vinicius, racism and Mourinho’s hideous reaction, by Bamidele Johnson 

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.