Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Colombia mine explosion kills nine

    Gas explosion kills 82 in China coal mine

    May 23, 2026
    Rotimi Amaechi

    Amaechi accuses Tinubu of creating hunger to bribe voters with rice

    May 23, 2026
    ADC south-south backs Amaechi for 2027 presidency

    Amaechi declares self most qualified ADC presidential aspirant

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Gas explosion kills 82 in China coal mine
    • Amaechi accuses Tinubu of creating hunger to bribe voters with rice
    • Amaechi declares self most qualified ADC presidential aspirant
    • Shan George to Chike: Sleeping with another man’s wife attracts curses, apologise to Frank Edoho
    • Amaechi claims he made Buhari president, rules out Tinubu’s role
    • Terrorists allegedly open talks with Makinde over Oyo school abduction
    • Trump orders Nigerians, others to apply for green cards from home countries
    • Trump to miss son’s wedding over ‘love for America’
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, May 23
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Uganda bans social media ahead of critical vote

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJanuary 13, 2021No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    AU endorses Museveni re-election after Uganda polls
    President Yoweri Museveni of Uganda
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Uganda banned social media and messaging apps on Tuesday, two days ahead of a presidential election pitting Yoweri Museveni, one of Africa’s longest-serving leaders, against opposition frontrunner Bobi Wine, a popular singer.

    Users complained on Tuesday that they were unable to access Facebook and WhatsApp, social media platforms being widely used for campaigning by all sides ahead of Thursday’s election in the East African country.

    In a letter seen by Reuters to internet service providers dated Jan. 12, Uganda’s communications regulator ordered them to block all social media platforms and messaging apps until further notice.

    Campaigning ahead of the vote has been marred by brutal crackdowns on opposition rallies, which the authorities say break COVID-19 curbs on large gatherings. Rights groups say the restrictions are a pretext for muzzling the opposition.

    At 38, Wine is half the age of President Yoweri Museveni and has attracted a large following among young people in a nation where 80% of the population are under 30, rattling the ruling National Resistance Movement party.

    Wine is considered the frontrunner among 10 candidates challenging Museveni, the former guerrilla leader who seized power in 1986 and brought stability to a country after the murderous reigns of dictators Milton Obote and Idi Amin.

    While security forces have intimidated the opposition at previous elections, the run up to this year’s vote has been especially violent. In November, 54 people were killed as soldiers and police quelled protests after Wine was detained.

    On Tuesday, Wine said soldiers raided his home in Kampala and arrested his guards while he was giving an interview to a Kenyan radio station. He also said a team member who works mainly as a mechanic was shot dead by the military overnight.

    Reuters was not immediately able to verify the claims and a military spokesmen did not respond to a call seeking comment.

    Patrick Onyango, police spokesman for the capital Kampala, denied Wine’s home had been raided or that anyone was arrested, saying: “We were just rearranging our security posture in the area near his home, specifically removing some checkpoints.”

    A source in Uganda’s telecom sector said the government had made clear to executives at telecoms companies that the social media ban was in retaliation for Facebook blocking some pro-government accounts.

    Neither Ibrahim Bbossa, Uganda Communications Commission spokesman nor government spokesman Ofwono Opondo answered calls requesting comment. An aide to Minister of Information Judith Nabakooba said she was unable to comment at the moment.

    The U.S. social media giant said on Monday it had taken down a network in Uganda linked to the country’s ministry of information for using fake and duplicate accounts to post ahead of this week’s election.

    A Facebook spokeswoman said the company had no comment on reports users were facing difficulties accessing the platform.

    “Any efforts to block online access to journalists or members of the public are unacceptable breaches of the right to information,” the International Press Institute, a global media watchdog, said in a statement.

    Wine has been using Facebook to relay live coverage of his campaigns and news conferences after he said many media outlets had declined to host him. Most radio and TV stations are owned by government allies and Uganda’s leading daily is state-run.

    Museveni, 76, has won every election since the first under his presidency in 1996, though they have been tarnished by intimidation of the opposition and accusations of vote rigging.

    • Omah Lay freed from custody in Uganda

    Uganda is a Western ally, a prospective oil producer and is considered a stabilising force in a region where war has plagued some neighbours. It also contributes the biggest contingent of an African Union force fighting Islamist insurgents in Somalia.

    The European Union is not deploying election observers as advice from previous observers about how to make the polls fair went unheeded, the bloc’s ambassador to Uganda has said. The African Union will deploy observers.

    At a news conference on Tuesday, Wine and two other opposition candidates – Patrick Amuriat and Mugisha Muntu – urged Ugandans to turn out and “protect their vote” by staying at polling stations to observe counting.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Colombia mine explosion kills nine

    Gas explosion kills 82 in China coal mine

    Rotimi Amaechi

    Amaechi accuses Tinubu of creating hunger to bribe voters with rice

    ADC south-south backs Amaechi for 2027 presidency

    Amaechi declares self most qualified ADC presidential aspirant

    Shan George to Chike: Sleeping with another man’s wife attracts curses, apologise to Frank Edoho

    Shan George to Chike: Sleeping with another man’s wife attracts curses, apologise to Frank Edoho

    Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi has been conferred with the Dan Amana title by the Emir of Daura on Saturday

    Amaechi claims he made Buhari president, rules out Tinubu’s role

    Terrorists allegedly open talks with Makinde govt over Oyo school abduction

    Terrorists allegedly open talks with Makinde over Oyo school abduction

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Colombia mine explosion kills nine

    Gas explosion kills 82 in China coal mine

    May 23, 2026
    Rotimi Amaechi

    Amaechi accuses Tinubu of creating hunger to bribe voters with rice

    May 23, 2026
    ADC south-south backs Amaechi for 2027 presidency

    Amaechi declares self most qualified ADC presidential aspirant

    May 23, 2026
    Shan George to Chike: Sleeping with another man’s wife attracts curses, apologise to Frank Edoho

    Shan George to Chike: Sleeping with another man’s wife attracts curses, apologise to Frank Edoho

    May 23, 2026
    Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi has been conferred with the Dan Amana title by the Emir of Daura on Saturday

    Amaechi claims he made Buhari president, rules out Tinubu’s role

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.