Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Fire razes TASUED hostel

    Fire outbreak razes Abuja national hospital

    May 18, 2026
    Lewandowski shines as Barcelona crush Dortmund in UEFA Champions League showdown

    Robert Lewandowski to leave Barcelona at end of season

    May 18, 2026
    Dani Carvajal

    Dani Carvajal leaves Real Madrid after 23 years

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Fire outbreak razes Abuja national hospital
    • Robert Lewandowski to leave Barcelona at end of season
    • Dani Carvajal leaves Real Madrid after 23 years
    • APC disqualifies Ben Bruce, 46 others from senatorial race
    • Oyo teachers protest colleagues’ abduction, killing
    • Nasir El-Rufai granted N100m bail
    • Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher
    • Mourinho agrees Real Madrid return
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Buhari queries Service Chiefs, demands how terrorists are getting arms

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorAugust 11, 2020No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo attend the National Security Council meeting northeast
    President Muhammadu Buhari has challenged the security chiefs to do more
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    President Muhammadu Buhari has queried Service Chiefs, demanding how terrorists have been getting arms to perpetuate the war in the northeast of Nigeria.

    “These terrorists are in the localities. How is it that they are not short of small arms?” he queried the security and intelligence chiefs.

    President Buhari in a meeting with state governors on Tuesday agreed that action was needed on the state of the nation’s security with calls for a joint strategy to bring various conflicts to an end within time limits.

    They also agreed that field commanders would take measures to protect civilian communities as a confidence-building mechanism between the military and those communities.

    A statement by the President’s spokesperson, Garba Shehu, said it is hoped that when the trust that has been lost between both parties is re-established, there would be improved cooperation in intelligence-gathering and sharing.

    The meeting also agreed that poverty and youth unemployment are at the root of the nationwide security challenges, and needed to be addressed with greater vigour by all tiers of government.

    The three-hour meeting coordinated by President Buhari, and attended by the Vice-President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, heads of defence, security and intelligence agencies, and members of the Security Committee of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum represented by one governor from each of the six geo-political zones (in a Virtual Format), focused on the country’s security policies and approaches in tackling the internal security challenges with a charge that intelligence-gathering and sharing must be optimised for the nation to secure itself.

    • Emulate Buhari on free, fair elections, APC tells Obaseki, Wike

    The President used the opportunity to dispel commonly held assumptions that the terrorists in the northeast had far more weapons and money than the government, stressing that what is left of them are “mere scavengers desperate for food, raiding shops and markets, and killing innocent persons in the process.”

    He also expressed concern that in spite of the fact that borders with neighbouring countries had been shut, bandits and terrorists continued to have access to small weapons.

    According to President Buhari, “We have said enough on the need for them to rejig their operations. I am glad that there is better synergy and cooperation which are very important.

    “I have directed the Service Chiefs to meet among themselves in-between the National Security Council meetings. The services have resources; yes, they need more, and mobility, and are doing their best, but there is a need for better gathering and interpretation of intelligence. Our intelligence-gathering must be improved.”

    The President informed the Governors of the imminent shipment of military weapons and aircraft from Jordan, China and the United States, but again asked for patience on the part of the public because the new weapons and aircraft must be manned by trained fighters and pilots who must first receive appropriate training.

    President Buhari also expressed satisfaction with the level of support from neighbouring countries in the war against terrorism.

    “They are cooperating with us. On Boko Haram, we are making progress with Benin, Niger, Chad and Cameroon,” he said, while restating that intelligence-gathering must improve to be able to track small arms in the Northwest, North Central and Northeast States.

    The President also expressed satisfaction with the level of Naval activity in the Gulf of Guinea, using newly-acquired equipment, but demanded that hard-to-reach areas of Lake Chad where Boko Haram terrorists have found new havens, as well as the forests now inhabited by bandits, must be accessed and rid of nefarious elements.

    “The Chief of Defence Staff has spoken about their study of the forests and their potential danger to security. We must make sure we follow the bandits and terrorists, but there must not be deforestation in view of the climate situation,” said President Buhari.

    In their submissions anchored by their Chairman, Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State, and Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno State, the Governors highlighted the problems of poverty, unemployment, trust deficit between the military and civilian populations and the inflow of small arms into the country.

    The Governors also pointed to the problem of coordination among military and security chiefs and played up their own security roles which included USD1 billion they allowed the President to withdraw from the Excess Crude Account for weapons procurement two years ago. They, therefore, urged the President to consider a “bail out” for security for the States in view of the enormity of the resources they now expend in support of the military and the police.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Fire razes TASUED hostel

    Fire outbreak razes Abuja national hospital

    APC) has announced the names of 47 senatorial aspirants who were not cleared to participate in its Senate primary elections ahead of the 2027 general elections.

    APC disqualifies Ben Bruce, 46 others from senatorial race

    Teachers carrying placards during a peaceful protest in Ogbomoso over the kidnapping of teachers and students in Oyo State.

    Oyo teachers protest colleagues’ abduction, killing

    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    Nasir El-Rufai granted N100m bail

    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Alex Otti at a public event as Labour Party announces 2026 primary election timetable and nomination fees

    Otti, Labour Party reject Abure’s 2027 nomination forms sale

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Fire razes TASUED hostel

    Fire outbreak razes Abuja national hospital

    May 18, 2026
    Lewandowski shines as Barcelona crush Dortmund in UEFA Champions League showdown

    Robert Lewandowski to leave Barcelona at end of season

    May 18, 2026
    Dani Carvajal

    Dani Carvajal leaves Real Madrid after 23 years

    May 18, 2026
    APC) has announced the names of 47 senatorial aspirants who were not cleared to participate in its Senate primary elections ahead of the 2027 general elections.

    APC disqualifies Ben Bruce, 46 others from senatorial race

    May 18, 2026
    Teachers carrying placards during a peaceful protest in Ogbomoso over the kidnapping of teachers and students in Oyo State.

    Oyo teachers protest colleagues’ abduction, killing

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.