Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    Wike lauds FCT poll, says results reflect democracy

    February 22, 2026
    CAN rejects Shari’ah council’s call for INEC chair’s removal

    INEC to unveil new 2027 election timetable

    February 22, 2026
    Eze Arsenal's derby hero again as leaders sink Tudor's Tottenham

    Eze Arsenal’s derby hero again as leaders sink Tudor’s Tottenham 

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Wike lauds FCT poll, says results reflect democracy
    • INEC to unveil new 2027 election timetable
    • Eze Arsenal’s derby hero again as leaders sink Tudor’s Tottenham 
    • Barcelona return to La Liga lead after thrashing Levante 3-0
    • Lawmaker breaks silence on Obono-Obla’s arrest in Cross River
    • NAFDAC confiscates banned, fake cosmetics worth N3bn in Lagos
    • Mac Allister frantic finish seals Liverpool win over Nottingham 
    • US Secret Service kills man trying to enter Trump’s estate
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Sunday, February 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Millions missing in Gambia after Jammeh goes into exile

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJanuary 23, 2017No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Yahya Jammeh of The Gambia
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Yahya Jammeh of The Gambia

    More than $11m (£8.8m) is missing from The Gambia’s state coffers following the departure of long-time leader Yahya Jammeh, an adviser to President Adama Barrow has said.

    Mai Ahmad Fatty said financial experts were trying to evaluate the exact loss.

    Luxury cars and other items were reportedly loaded on to a Chadian cargo plane as Mr Jammeh left the country.

    Mr Jammeh has not commented and the BBC has not independently verified the claims.

    After 22 years in power, Mr Jammeh flew into exile on Saturday.

    He had refused to accept election results but finally left after mediation by regional leaders and the threat of military intervention.

    President Barrow remains in neighbouring Senegal and it is not clear when he will return.

    However, West African troops entered the Gambian capital, Banjul, on Sunday to prepare for his arrival.

    Cheering crowds gathered outside the State House to watch soldiers secure the building.

    The Senegalese general leading the joint force from five African nations said they were controlling “strategic points to ensure the safety of the population and facilitate… Mr Barrow’s assumption of his role”.

    Mr Fatty told reporters in the Senegalese capital Dakar that The Gambia was in financial distress.

    “The coffers are virtually empty,” he said. “It has been confirmed by technicians in the ministry of finance and the Central Bank of the Gambia.”

    He said Mr Jammeh had made off with more than $11m in the past two weeks alone.

    Mr Fatty said officials at The Gambia’s main airport had been told not to let any of Mr Jammeh’s belongings leave the country.

    Reports said some of the former leader’s goods were in Guinea where Mr Jammeh had stopped on his journey into exile.

    Mr Jammeh is reported to now be in Equatorial Guinea, although authorities there have not confirmed it.

    The former leader had initially accepted Mr Barrow’s election win on 1 December, but later alleged “irregularities” and called for a fresh vote.

    The move was internationally condemned and the UN-backed Economic Community of West African States (Ecowas) issued an ultimatum for him to quit or be removed by force.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    Wike lauds FCT poll, says results reflect democracy

    CAN rejects Shari’ah council’s call for INEC chair’s removal

    INEC to unveil new 2027 election timetable

    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Lawmaker breaks silence on Obono-Obla’s arrest in Cross River

    The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) discovered a warehouse in Lagos State containing prohibited, fraudulent, and unregistered cosmetic products worth over ₦3 billion.

    NAFDAC confiscates banned, fake cosmetics worth N3bn in Lagos

    US deports 79 Nigerians on criminal list

    US Secret Service kills man trying to enter Trump’s estate

    SERAP gives Tinubu seven days to scrap phone‑tapping law

    SERAP gives Tinubu seven days to scrap phone‑tapping law

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    Wike lauds FCT poll, says results reflect democracy

    February 22, 2026
    CAN rejects Shari’ah council’s call for INEC chair’s removal

    INEC to unveil new 2027 election timetable

    February 22, 2026
    Eze Arsenal's derby hero again as leaders sink Tudor's Tottenham

    Eze Arsenal’s derby hero again as leaders sink Tudor’s Tottenham 

    February 22, 2026
    Barcelona narrowly defeated Real Madrid in a five-goal clash to claim consecutive Spanish Super Cup titles in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

    Barcelona return to La Liga lead after thrashing Levante 3-0

    February 22, 2026
    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Lawmaker breaks silence on Obono-Obla’s arrest in Cross River

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.