Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break

    Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast

    February 16, 2026
    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone

    February 16, 2026
    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast
    • FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone
    • US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links
    • Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution
    • BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation
    • Nigerians ‘paying for darkness’, Ajaero slams power sector reform as failure
    • US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day
    • National Assembly moves to shift 2027 presidential poll to Feb13
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    FG explains ECA balance, says $250m was transferred to NSIA

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorFebruary 22, 2020No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    East-West Road Governors have agreed to suspend all public gatherings at Vice President Yemi Osinbajo chaired NEC judicial panel of inquiry Space Museum
    FILE: Vice President Yemi Osinbajo chairs the Federal Executive Council meeting
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Federal Government has explained that the drop balance in the Excess Crude Account was transferred as investment to the Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority (NSIA) following a National Economic Council (NEC) meeting in November 2019.

    Nigeria transparency organisation, BudgIT had raised alarm during the week over the drop balance in the ECA despite an announcement by NEC that it was investing the said sum with NSIA.

    A statement by Laolu Akande, spokesperson to Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on 21 November 2019 explained the action of the Federal Government following a resolution at NEC.

    “Having received a presentation of the Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority (NSIA) business update, and outlook, the National Economic Council on Thursday resolved to invest an additional $250 million into the NSIA, the country’s sovereign wealth fund,” the statement read.

    “The resolution was among other decisions taken at the 99th meeting of the council chaired by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, in Abuja.

    “NEC is composed of the 36 State Governors, CBN Governor, the FCT Minister and other Federal Government representatives.

    In his presentation to NEC, the NSIA Managing Director, Mr Uche Orji said the agency made a profit before tax of N42,036,469 while NSIA and its subsidiaries made a profit before tax of N46,185,074.

    • Pastor Adefarasin blames security challenges on loss of family values

    According to him, “the total comprehensive income by the year ending 31st December, 2018 made by the NSIA Group amount to N44,337,108, while the amount made by the NSIA stood at N41,827,853.

    “…irrespective of volatility in the market due to the US/China trade disputes and Brexit, the Group made a total of N24 billion in total comprehensive income in the first 6 months of the year.”

    The NSIA had earlier told council that it intends to “deploy Capital into the three road projects under the Presidential Infrastructure Development Fund – to complete the Second Niger Bridge, Abuja – Kano highway and Lagos – Ibadan Express way as well as the Mambilla Power Project.

    “That the NSIA intends to create a number of co-investment funds, in the area of Healthcare, Agriculture and Gas Projects.

    “These projects worth N2.5 trillion, will be implemented under a business model, that includes the payment of reasonable service charges (e.g. tolling of roads, electricity tariffs etc) after the projects have been fully developed.”

    Besides the additional $250 million, NEC also resolved that the “Governor of Kaduna State should chair a NEC Committee to consider how a portion of Pension Funds can also be leveraged into investment for the NSIA with possible involvement of PENCOM.

    At the National Economic Council (NEC) Meeting of Nov 21, 2019, Council (comprising the State Governors, & presided over by the VP) approved the transfer of $250 million to Nigeria’s Sovereign Wealth Fund, the Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority (NSIA): https://t.co/CBuIz9aAQl https://t.co/i0T4MVNfIG pic.twitter.com/39t3eXKKFV

    — Government of Nigeria (@NigeriaGov) February 22, 2020

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    Ajaero slams Nigeria power privatisation as failure

    Nigerians ‘paying for darkness’, Ajaero slams power sector reform as failure

    US Embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break

    Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast

    February 16, 2026
    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone

    February 16, 2026
    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    February 16, 2026
    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    February 16, 2026
    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.