Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    February 17, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    February 17, 2026
    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno
    • El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe
    • ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95
    • Social network X restored after global outage
    • Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others
    • US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links
    • Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack
    • Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Kaduna to spend N45billion on Education, says El-Rufai

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJanuary 12, 2017No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS
    Former Governor of Kaduna Nasir El-Rufai
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State

    The Kaduna State Government said on Wednesday that it would spend more than N45 billion on education as part of efforts to raise the standard of the sector in the state.

    Gov. Nasiru El-Rufa’i disclosed this when he received the UN Population Fund (UNFPA) Executive Director, Dr Babatunde Osotimehin, in Kaduna.

    He said that the government would use part of the fund to improve the capacity of teachers.

    According to him, the government is also engaged in direct recruitment of 2,200 teachers to teach English, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and ICT in secondary schools.

    “What we inherited was a situation in which 42 per cent of our teachers were not qualified to teach and when we tested them on the same common entrance exams that primary six pupils take, more than 42 per cent failed.

    “We are doing something about raising teacher quality this year,” the governor said.

    El-Rufa’i said that the introduction of free feeding in primary schools had raised enrolment from 1.5 million pupils in June 2015 to 2.1 million pupils in September 2016.

    He explained that the school feeding programme was aimed at enhancing the nutrition of primary school pupils and reducing the burden on parents.

    The governor added that the administration had expanded access to education by making the first nine years of basic schooling free.

    He said that most of the 4,200 primary schools in the state were in various conditions of dilapidation when he assumed duty as governor.

    “In most of these schools, at least 50 per cent of the pupils took lesson on the floor because there was no furniture.’’

    He said that the government responded by introducing the schools rehabilitation programme to provide decent classrooms, furniture, water and toilet facilities.

    El-Rufa’i said so far, about 500 of the schools had been rehabilitated at the cost of about N6 billion.

    According to him, after a review of the cost and the demographic trend and the level of overcrowding in the classrooms, the government would now build multi-storey school blocks with more classrooms to accommodate 30 to 40 pupils per class.

    “The rebuilding programme would be launched this year with support from the World Bank. We have also intervened to improve nutrition in senior secondary schools.

    “We met a situation where students in boarding schools are being fed at N44 per student per meal and we have increased it to N100 per meal, meaning that each student is fed with N300 per day.

    “Our youth need quality education, accessible health care, good governance and jobs.

    “We are supporting entrepreneurship programme targeting university graduates and training them at the Kaduna Business School, where they acquire skills to produce business plans that can be funded by our intervention fund with the Bank of Industry (BoI).”

    He further said that the state government had also launched a public service revitalisation and renewal project, to inject young people into the public service and make the service more dynamic and reflective of the community it is serving.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    February 17, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    February 17, 2026
    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    February 17, 2026
    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    February 16, 2026
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.