Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    February 15, 2026
    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash
    • FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu
    • Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0
    • Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday
    • Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border
    • Amotekun nabs12 suspected kidnappers, 83 others in Ondo
    • Terrorists kidnap four in fresh Kwara attack
    • US troops, military aircraft touch down in Nigeria for counter-terrorism
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Trump condemns Syria for chemical attack on Douma

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorApril 8, 2018No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    TikTok to stay in US as Trump begins deal with China
    President Donald Trump
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    President Donald Trump has labelled President Assad of Syria an animal

    US President Donald Trump has lashed out at Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and his allies Russia and Iran over a suspected chemical attack, saying there will be a “big price to pay”.

    Medical sources say dozens of people were killed in an attack on the rebel-held town of Douma on Saturday.



    The UN Security Council may debate the attack on Monday after nine of its 15 members called for an urgent meeting.

    Both Syria and Russia deny a chemical attack took place.

    The European Union has called for an “immediate response by the international community”.

    READ: We rob stranded motorists with toy guns, suspect confesses

    At the Vatican, Pope Francis said: “Nothing, nothing can justify the use of such devices of extermination against defenceless people and populations.”

    Mr Trump described President Assad as an “animal” in a series of tweets.

    Many dead, including women and children, in mindless CHEMICAL attack in Syria. Area of atrocity is in lockdown and encircled by Syrian Army, making it completely inaccessible to outside world. President Putin, Russia and Iran are responsible for backing Animal Assad. Big price…

    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 8, 2018

    ….to pay. Open area immediately for medical help and verification. Another humanitarian disaster for no reason whatsoever. SICK!

    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 8, 2018

    If President Obama had crossed his stated Red Line In The Sand, the Syrian disaster would have ended long ago! Animal Assad would have been history!

    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 8, 2018

    As details of the attack emerged, the Russian military reached a deal with the rebels controlling Douma, the Jaish al-Islam group, on a partial evacuation to end the fighting there.

    Russian military police will be admitted to the town while the rebels will be allowed either to leave or stay with a guarantee they will not be pursued by Syrian security forces, local negotiators told Reuters news agency.

    Syrian state media said earlier that a deal had been struck with Jaish al-Islam to allow them to leave Douma within 48 hours in return for them freeing prisoners.

    Douma is the last rebel bastion in the Eastern Ghouta region outside the capital, Damascus, following a government offensive.

    What do we know about the attack?

    One video, recorded by rescue workers known as the White Helmets, shows a number of men, women and children lying lifeless inside a house, many with foam at their mouths.

    Other unverified footage shows young children crying as they are treated in a makeshift medical unit.

    However, it has not been possible to verify independently what actually happened, or the actual number of dead.

    The Union of Medical Care and Relief Organizations, which runs medical facilities in the Eastern Ghouta, told BBC News that 70 deaths had been confirmed.

    According to the US-based Syrian American Medical Society, at least 48 people died, showing “symptoms indicative of exposure to a chemical agent”.

    More than 500 people were brought to medical centres with such symptoms, it said, quoting emergency services in Douma.

    A doctor at an overwhelmed hospital in the rebel-controlled town told the BBC’s Joel Gunter he had panicked as his own children coughed from gas seeping into the basement where they were hiding.

    A medical student described in horrifying detail how he had treated a dying man.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    Customs to review agents’ licence renewal fees January 2026

    Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border

    Amotekun arrests 170 anti-open grazing law violators

    Amotekun nabs12 suspected kidnappers, 83 others in Ondo

    Terrorists abduct nine Catholic church worshippers in Benue

    Terrorists kidnap four in fresh Kwara attack

    US troops, military aircraft touch down in Nigeria for counter-terrorism

    US troops, military aircraft touch down in Nigeria for counter-terrorism

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    February 15, 2026
    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    February 15, 2026
    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    February 15, 2026
    Customs to review agents’ licence renewal fees January 2026

    Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.