Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack

    February 20, 2026
    Shehu Sani: E-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    February 20, 2026
    EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin

    EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack
    • Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 
    • EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin
    • Osinbajo hails Otti’s reforms in Abia
    • SERAP asks court to strike out DSS N5.5bn suit
    • NOA slams traders over Ramadan, Lent food price spike
    • ICPC raids El-Rufai’s residence amid probe
    • Crystal Palace waste lead to draw Zrinjski 1-1
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Osinbajo denies ignoring Governor Ortom’s letter on herdsmen attack

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJanuary 15, 2018No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Vice President Yemi Osinbajo will meet VP Mike Pence in the US
    Vice President Yemi Osinbajo will meet VP Mike Pence in the US
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Vice President Prof Yemi Osinbajo has denied ignoring a letter from Benue state governor, Samuel Ortom

    Nigeria’s vice president, Prof Yemi Osinbajo has denied ignoring a letter from Governor Samuel Ortom, stating that he was shocked by the claims.

    In a statement by his media aide, Laolu Akande, Osinbajo, SAN, said “he was shocked by a news report ostensibly quoting the Benue State Governor Sam Ortom as saying that the VP was warned of the savage and inhumane killings by alleged herdsmen in Logo and Guma local government areas which took place on the 1st of January 2018.


    Osinbajo noted that he does not believe that the Governor could ever have said so. “It will be a terrible falsehood to suggest that the VP was ever informed by the Governor or anyone else of the imminence of the killing of citizens of our country in those or any other local governments in Benue State.

    Governor Ortom wrote to the Vice President, then acting President, on 7 June 2017 protesting a newspaper publication where the leadership of Miyetti Allah was reported to have stated that it was opposed to the Open Grazing Prohibition law of the State and that they would mobilize to resist the law.

    “The Miyetti Allah had written to the Vice President on the 5 June 2017 on the same law protesting several sections of the law,” the statement read.

    READ: Samsung to open retail channels in Africa, double revenue

    “The Governor went on to say that the leadership of Miyetti Allah should be arrested because they used words such as “wicked, obnoxious and repressive,” to describe the law, and because these were “utterances that are capable of undermining the peace…”

    Osinbajo said he subsequently met with the Governor, discussed the matter and the security situation in the State and then ordered that law enforcement agencies to be on the alert to prevent any attacks or violence. This was in June 2017!

    “In the said letter written by the Governor, there was no mention of any threat to any specific one of the 23 local governments of Benue State, so the best the law enforcement agencies could do even then was to await information or intelligence of an imminent attack.

    “None came. Since then the VP has held several meetings with the Benue State Governor, including a visit to the State on the 6th of September, last year at the behest of Mr. President during the tragic floods in the state last year.

    “At all such meetings, the Vice President discussed the security situation of the State with the Governor.

    “Following that, the then acting President convened a major national security retreat which was attended by all State Governors, service chiefs and heads of security agencies.

    “The Retreat featured very detailed discussions on the herdsmen/ farmers’ clashes.

    Osinbajo added that, “To the best of our knowledge, neither Governor Ortom nor the Federal Government was aware of the imminence of the cowardly attack on Logo and Guma on the 1st of January, and therefore any suggestion that the President or the Vice President ignored the State Governor’s warning is both absolutely false and certainly misleading.

    The attack on Logo and Guma on 1 January left at least 71 dead, according to reports by the Benue State Government.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack

    Shehu Sani: E-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin

    EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin

    Osinbajo hails Otti’s reforms in Abia

    Osinbajo hails Otti’s reforms in Abia

    SERAP asks court to strike out DSS N5.5bn suit

    SERAP asks court to strike out DSS N5.5bn suit

    NOA slams traders over Ramadan, Lent food price spike

    NOA slams traders over Ramadan, Lent food price spike

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack

    February 20, 2026
    Shehu Sani: E-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    February 20, 2026
    EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin

    EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin

    February 20, 2026
    Osinbajo hails Otti’s reforms in Abia

    Osinbajo hails Otti’s reforms in Abia

    February 20, 2026
    SERAP asks court to strike out DSS N5.5bn suit

    SERAP asks court to strike out DSS N5.5bn suit

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.