Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    May 20, 2026
    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    May 20, 2026
    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West
    • Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary
    • Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears
    • Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours
    • Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists
    • Kano govt announces Sallah break for primary, secondary schools
    • CBN retains 26.5% monetary policy rate
    • ASUU begins indefinite strike over welfare, agreement breach
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, May 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Suicide bombers attack Maiduguri checkpoint, kill two

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorNovember 18, 2016No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    FILE PHOTO: Scene of a suicide bomber attack in Maiduguri, Borno Stateuicide

    Suicide bombers attacked a checkpoint in Nigeria’s northeastern city of Maiduguri, killing two of themselves before dawn Friday. Two other explosions occurred hours later.

    It was the fifth attack in three weeks on the city that is the birthplace of Nigeria’s homegrown Islamic extremist group, Boko Haram.

    Before 4:00 a.m. Friday, police challenged two women and a man running toward the checkpoint opposite the Federal High Court, deputy police superintendent Victor Isuku said. One woman detonated, killing herself and the male accomplice. The other woman has been arrested and is being interrogated, he said.

    No details were immediately available about two blasts that rang out around 8 a.m. (0700 GMT).

    Boko Haram has recently stepped up attacks after a months-long lull in their Islamic uprising that has killed more than 20,000 people over seven years.

    Security forces have managed to foil most of the attacks.

    On Oct. 29, two women suicide bombers blew up outside a refugee camp, killing five people. The next day, troops shot and killed a man with explosives strapped to his torso as he ran toward the same camp. On Nov. 1, a car bomb targeting a military checkpoint leading to Maiduguri exploded, killing all nine people in the vehicle. Last week, soldiers shot at three female suicide bombers, detonating some of their explosives and killing all three.

    Nigerian troops this year have driven the insurgents out of most towns in the northeast. But now the insurgents are fleeing south into the central-eastern state of Taraba, the state director for Nigeria’s secret intelligence agency, Shehu Saulawa, told senators there on Thursday.

    The insurgency has spread across Nigeria’s borders, forced some 2.6 million people, mainly farmers, from their homes and created a massive humanitarian crisis in which the United Nations says 14 million people face starvation.

    AP/MailOnline

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours

    Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours

    Daniel Bwala said that Peter Obi's success in the 2023 election, where he got over 6.1m votes, was largely due to religious discourse.

    Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists

    Kano gov Yusuf suspends loan vendors after N1.8bn Illegal salary deductions

    Kano govt announces Sallah break for primary, secondary schools

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    May 20, 2026
    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    May 20, 2026
    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears

    May 20, 2026
    Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours

    Students flee Oyo schools as police dismiss terrorist attack rumours

    May 20, 2026
    Daniel Bwala said that Peter Obi's success in the 2023 election, where he got over 6.1m votes, was largely due to religious discourse.

    Bwala urges Nigerians to defend themselves against terrorists

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.