Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure
    • Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028
    • Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit
    • Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign
    • Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo
    • JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements
    • Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod
    • Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, May 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoMay 22, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Trump : You're on your own, US tells citizens in Israel amid Middle East tensions 
    US President Donald Trump
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    President Donald Trump has announced that the US will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, a week after the Pentagon canceled a planned deployment of 4,000 troops to the country.

    NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte hailed the move ahead of a conference of foreign ministers in Sweden, saying the trend toward Europe becoming less reliant on the US “will continue.”

    Trump said on his Truth Social platform on Thursday that the decision was based on the US’s connection with Polish President Karol Nawrocki, whom he supported in the presidential election last year.

    He did not elaborate on whether the additional troops were part of the already planned deployment or a separate mission.

    The White House has indicated in recent weeks that it aims to reduce overall force levels in Europe as part of its “America First” strategy.

    Rubio is anticipated to demand additional burden sharing from Washington’s NATO allies at Friday’s discussions in Helsingborg.

    Speaking to reporters on Friday morning, he said, “The president’s views are frankly disappointment at some of our NATO allies and their response to our operations in the Middle East.

    “In the meantime there are other areas where we continue with cooperation,” he added, citing the Poland announcement.

    “That said, obviously the United States continues to have global commitments that it needs to meet in terms of our force deployment, and that constantly requires us to re-examine where we put troops—this is not a punitive thing.”

    Ahead of the meeting, the BBC questioned Rubio about unconfirmed rumors that the US may reduce its total soldier numbers available in the case of an assault on a NATO country.

    He mentioned “some of those issues” will be discussed at the summit, adding Trump remained very upset and disappointed with NATO allies.

    Earlier this month, the United States ordered the withdrawal of 5,000 troops from Germany following a disagreement between President Trump and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz about the war with Iran.

    Trump earlier chastised Merz for claiming that Iranian negotiators had “humiliated” the United States.

    It is uncertain whether the additional troops for Poland were part of the withdrawal from Germany or a separate unit.

    He has also criticized Washington’s NATO allies for refusing to help the US in pushing Iran over the Strait of Hormuz.

    Rubio stated on Friday there had been “slight progress” in negotiations on Iran but did not expand with any details.

    “We await word on those conversations that are ongoing… I don’t want to exaggerate it, but there’s been a little bit of movement,” he said.

    Trump’s announcement comes a week after the Defense Department abruptly canceled the deployment of 4,000 troops to Poland.

    US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth later stated that the cancellation was “a temporary delay” in the planned deployment and that the US will continue to maintain a “strong military presence” in Poland.

    Nawrocki was a long-time Trump fan who received his endorsement before winning Poland’s presidential election.

    In an interview with the BBC’s Radio 4 Today in January, the Polish president stated that Trump was the only world leader capable of stopping President Vladimir Putin and putting an end to the Ukraine conflict.

    Despite Trump’s earlier criticism of NATO and his European counterparts, Nawrocki reaffirmed that the United States remained the guarantor of European security.

    Several Republican legislators have previously criticized Trump’s decision to withdraw soldiers from Germany, claiming it could send the wrong message to Russia.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani addressing judiciary staff union leaders during a meeting at Sir Kashim Ibrahim House in Kaduna.

    JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements

    Nigerians reacting on social media to the appointment of Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar announced by President Tinubu.

    Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment

    The Governor of Benue State, Hyacinth Alia, has expressed deep sorrow over the death of ten people in a tragic accident in the Okete community, Ohimini Local Government Area.

    Alia wins Benue APC governorship primary election

    RCMP tactical armoured vehicle and heavily armed officers outside a Spencer Street home during a police raid in downtown St. John’s.

    Police deploy flash bangs, armoured vehicle in St. John’s drug raid

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police probe officer who threatened to kill people filming him

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign

    May 22, 2026
    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.