Governor Seyi Makinde has confirmed that seven teachers were kidnapped during the recent raid on schools in the Oriire area of Oyo state, although the actual number of missing students is still unknown.
The governor revealed this on Sunday when speaking to journalists about the security situation following the takeover of schools by suspected gunmen.
He had previously met with service commanders and leaders of security agencies in the state to get an update on the kidnapping situation.
Makinde claimed that an Islamic studies instructor was slain in the attack and that security services had previously apprehended six suspects in the community and three additional people of interest in connection with the crime.
According to him, the attackers are thought to be members of armed organizations escaping increased military operations against terrorists and bandits in the Northwest.
“With the pressure on the terrorists and the bandits in the North-West, they will keep moving southward,” the governor said.
Makinde mentioned that he had been engaging with authorities in other states over the growing security threat, warning that terrorists displaced from conflict zones could take advantage of areas with a weak security presence.
“But the problem that we have is when you have pressure in one place, we must be prepared on this side to either repel or neutralize any terrorists fleeing the pressure points,” he stated.
The governor also disclosed that preliminary intelligence reports suggested that some of those arrested might have acted as informants for the attackers within the affected communities.
“The information available is that about six individuals have been arrested within the locality. We believe some of them are informants. Also, three individuals of interest have been arrested,” Makinde added.
He emphasized that the state government would not rely solely on military action in tackling the crisis, noting that consultations were ongoing with religious and community leaders, including officials of the Baptist Convention, as one of the affected schools is owned by the church.
“We have decided that we will adopt not just a kinetic approach. We are engaging leaders, elders, and religious leaders, especially at the Baptist Convention,” he said.
Makinde urged communities to be calm and informed families of abduction victims that measures were being taken to ensure their safe return.
“We are not taking this lightly. We will do everything within our means to resolve this quickly and bring our children back safely,” the governor assured.
Makinde described the situation as “very difficult and challenging” and stated that the state administration will begin daily news briefings to keep locals informed about rescue operations and security activities.









