Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    May 17, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    May 17, 2026
    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency
    • 65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak
    • NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets
    • Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction
    • Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings
    • Bruno Fernandes equals assist record as Man United beat Forest 3-2
    • Frank Edoho laments, says ‘I don’t want to die because of a woman’
    • Chelsea appoint Alonso as new manager after turbulent season
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    DHQ says Boko Haram, ISWAP fighters use similar names to hide identities

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedMay 17, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    DHQ says Boko Haram, ISWAP fighters use similar names to hide identities
    Defence Headquarters, DHQ Nigeria
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Defence Headquarters (DHQ) says the use of similar aliases among Boko Haram and ISWAP commanders led to public confusion over reports surrounding the death of Abu-Bilal Al-Minuki.

    The clarification followed renewed debate after the military announced that Al-Minuki was killed during a joint operation involving Nigerian troops and the United States Africa Command on May 16, 2026.

    Questions emerged after old reports resurfaced online claiming that a terrorist commander bearing the same name had already been killed in 2024.

    In a statement, Major General Samaila Uba, director of defence information, said insurgent groups in the North-East and Lake Chad Basin frequently adopt identical or closely related aliases to conceal their identities and complicate intelligence tracking.

    According to the DHQ, the Al-Minuki eliminated in the latest operation was positively identified through human intelligence and technical surveillance as a senior operative linked to the global Islamic State network.

    The military said there was “no ambiguity” regarding the identity of the terrorist commander killed during the operation.

    The controversy intensified after previous military reports from 2024 were circulated online, leading to accusations that authorities may have mistakenly announced the death of the same commander twice.

    However, the DHQ maintained that the repeated use of aliases is common within Boko Haram and ISWAP ranks and forms part of their indoctrination and concealment tactics.

    Reuters had earlier reported that both US President Donald Trump and President Bola Tinubu confirmed the killing of Abu-Bilal Al-Minuki during a joint operation in Borno State.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    Security concerns rise in Oyo communities as schools shut following student abduction in Oriire LGA.

    Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction

    Benue: Protesting Plateau women destroy military checkpoints over killings

    Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings

    Frank Edoho, ex-wife fight dirty over infidelity, divorce

    Frank Edoho laments, says ‘I don’t want to die because of a woman’

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    May 17, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    May 17, 2026
    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    May 17, 2026
    Security concerns rise in Oyo communities as schools shut following student abduction in Oriire LGA.

    Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction

    May 17, 2026
    Benue: Protesting Plateau women destroy military checkpoints over killings

    Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.