Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139
    • Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty
    • Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar
    • Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity
    • NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans
    • Big Wiz: Wizkid becomes first African artiste to reach 11bn Spotify streams
    • NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction
    • Gowon accuses Ojukwu of frustrating peace talks, causing civil war
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Badenoch, Starmer condemn ban on Israeli fans at Aston Villa Europa match

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoOctober 17, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Keir Starmer speaking during a cabinet meeting as pressure mounts from Labour MPs demanding his resignation.
    UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer has opposed the decision to prohibit supporters of Israel’s Maccabi Tel Aviv from attending their UEFA Europa League match against Aston Villa on November 6, calling it “the wrong decision,” according to The Independent on Friday.

    Starmer’s statements follow Opposition Leader Kemi Badenoch’s condemnation of the move as “a national disgrace,” accusing authorities of sending “a horrendous and shameful message” that there are regions of Britain “where Jews simply cannot go.”

    The Prime Minister urged Birmingham City Council’s Safety Advisory Group and West Midlands Police to overturn the decision and allow Maccabi fans to attend the November 6 match at Villa Park.

    In a post on X (previously Twitter), Starmer chastised Birmingham officials for giving in to those worries rather than providing adequate security for all supporters.

    “This is the wrong decision. We will not tolerate antisemitism on our streets.

    “The role of the police is to ensure all football fans can enjoy the game without fear of violence or intimidation,” Starmer wrote.

    Aston Villa confirmed late Thursday that the Safety Advisory Group (SAG), which is in charge of awarding matchday safety certificates, had told the club that no away fans would be permitted to attend the match at Villa Park on Thursday, November 6.

    According to the club, the SAG made the decision based on advice from West Midlands Police, who expressed public safety concerns outside the stadium and mentioned potential challenges in policing protesters during the match.

    “Following a meeting this afternoon, the SAG has formally written to the club and UEFA to advise no away fans will be permitted to attend Villa Park for this fixture.

    “The club are in continuous dialogue with Maccabi Tel Aviv and the local authorities throughout this ongoing process, with the safety of supporters attending the match and the safety of local residents at the forefront of any decision,” Aston Villa said in a statement.

    However, Badenoch, in response to the club’s announcement on X on Thursday, criticized the action, calling it an intolerable breach of the government’s duty to safeguard the safety of British Jews.

    “This is a national disgrace. How have things come to this? Starmer pledged that Jews are welcome and safe in Britain. That he stands shoulder to shoulder with the Jewish community and will use the full force of his government to prove it.

    “Will he back those words with action and guarantee that Jewish fans can walk into any football stadium in this country? If not, it sends a horrendous and shameful message: there are parts of Britain where Jews simply cannot go,” she wrote.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    NDLEA operatives at a clandestine methamphetamine laboratory uncovered in Ogun forest with seized chemical substances and suspects.

    NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans

    Big Wiz: Five Wizkid songs that sound like Fela’s

    Big Wiz: Wizkid becomes first African artiste to reach 11bn Spotify streams

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    May 21, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    May 21, 2026
    NDLEA operatives at a clandestine methamphetamine laboratory uncovered in Ogun forest with seized chemical substances and suspects.

    NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.