Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    February 15, 2026
    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS
    • Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash
    • FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu
    • Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0
    • Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations
    • Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday
    • Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border
    • Amotekun nabs12 suspected kidnappers, 83 others in Ondo
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    NFF condemns ‘unfair’ scapegoating of Cyriel Dessers, Troost-Ekong

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoSeptember 10, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    CAF clears Ndidi as Troost-Ekong warns of DR Congo test for Nigeria
    Super Eagles defender William Troost-Ekong
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has distanced itself from a post-match statement criticizing several Super Eagles players after the team’s 1-1 tie with South Africa in a 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifier.

    Ademola Olajire, the NFF’s Director of Communications, criticized forward Cyriel Dessers and captain William Troost-Ekong in his comments.

    It chastised Dessers for being lethargic and blamed Ekong for the own goal that handed Bafana Bafana the advantage.

    On Wednesday, NFF General Secretary Mohammed Sanusi clarified that the remark did not represent the Federation’s official position.

    “I saw the release just like everyone else did. Nobody in the Federation is happy with it,” Sanusi said.

    “The NFF did not authorize that statement. We have great respect for all the players. Blaming an individual for a team result is unfair.”

    He also stated that the Federation regards the South Africa match as a collective effort and will not support attempts to scapegoat any player.

    “When we win, it’s a team victory. When we lose, it’s also collective. No player should be singled out,” Sanusi said.

    He called the targeted criticism of Troost-Ekong unwarranted, adding that the defender had previously been named Most Valuable Player at the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) in Côte d’Ivoire.

    “It was an unfortunate own goal. His intention was to clear the ball. Anyone who knows football understands that such things happen,” he said.

    Sanusi also voiced faith in the team’s cohesiveness, noting that preparations were underway to recover and refocus ahead of the remaining qualifiers and AFCON.

    “Our house is in order. We’re preparing for the rest of the qualifiers and the AFCON in Morocco,” he said.

    “There’s no problem with our players or coaching crew. Our relationship remains cordial. The government and the NFF are proud of the players’ efforts.”

    The NFF had initially praised Calvin Bassey for his equalizing goal and lamented the team’s failure to convert second-half chances.

    However, Sanusi clarified that internal disciplinary action would be taken over the unauthorized release.

    “I can assure you the NFF will take action on the matter,” he said.

    Nigeria is currently third in Group C of the CAF World Cup qualifiers, with 11 points from eight matches. South Africa leads the group with 17 points.

    To qualify for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, the Super Eagles must now win their remaining games against Lesotho and the Benin Republic, as well as hope for other favorable results.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    Ambulance hits woman near finish line at Lagos City Marathon

    Ambulance hits woman near finish line at Lagos City Marathon

    Liverpool thrash Brighton 3-0 in FA Cup clash

    Liverpool thrash Brighton 3-0 in FA Cup clash

    Real Madrid: Alonso says 'n o case with Vinicius' over El Clasico outburst

    Real Madrid top La Liga after 4-1 win over Sociedad

    Ronaldo becomes first active footballer to reach billionaire status

    Ronaldo scores in Al-Nassr return after boycott of matches

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    February 15, 2026
    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    February 15, 2026
    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    February 15, 2026
    Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations

    Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.