Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    February 20, 2026
    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel admits lying over rape claim

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim
    • Mirabel admits lying over rape claim
    • Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack
    • Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 
    • EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin
    • Osinbajo hails Otti’s reforms in Abia
    • SERAP asks court to strike out DSS N5.5bn suit
    • NOA slams traders over Ramadan, Lent food price spike
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    YouTube lifts Swaziland bare-breasted restrictions

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorOctober 14, 2017No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    FILE: The reed dance, or Umhlanga, celebrates chastity and virginity in Swaziland
    FILE: The reed dance, or Umhlanga, celebrates chastity and virginity in Swaziland
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    The reed dance, or Umhlanga, celebrates chastity and virginity in Swaziland

    YouTube has lifted restrictions from videos showing Swaziland’s reed dance, which feature bare-breasted women.

    A spokesperson for the video-sharing platform told the BBC that YouTube allows nudity when “culturally relevant or properly contextualised”.

    Users who had uploaded reed dance videos were angered when it was classified as age-restricted content.

    YouTube has denied accusations of racism, saying it was keen to be culturally sensitive.

    The move was in response to a campaign led by Lazi Dlamini, the head of TV Yabantu, an online video production company, featuring Africa’s “finest culture… as seen, and recorded by the African people”.

    READ: Pope Francis praying for Maurizio Pallu kidnapped in Nigeria

    Its YouTube channel – which launched in 2016 – had been adding up to 4,000 new subscribers every month until the platform started to flag its content as inappropriate, South Africa’s Mail and Guardian newspaper reports.


    What is the Reed Dance?
    The reed dance, or Umhlanga, celebrates chastity and virginity

    Every year about 40,000 girls and young women take part in the ceremony, during which King Mswati can chose a new wife

    The eight-day event, which sees the women parade semi-naked in front of the royal residence, has been heavily criticised by rights groups who say it is outdated and sexist.


    It also put a label on the channel advising advertisers that its content was “not suitable for most advertisers”.

    According to Mr Dlamini, he had contacted YouTube’s parent company Google to say that he was simply reflecting the cultural values of his community, but the company said that the content violated the platform’s standards.

    He then organised a series of protests, working with more than 200 cultural groupings from Swaziland, with the first one taking place on Saturday in Durban, a city in neighbouring South Africa, the Mail and Guardian says.

    It included at least a dozen women who posed bare-breasted with placards that accused Google of racism.

    One placard read: “My breasts are not inappropriate”, the Mail and Guardian said.

    After the Mail and Guardian article was published, a spokesperson for YouTube told the BBC that reed dance videos were not against their policy, and that they were happy to rectify the error and apologise.

    YouTube has been criticised for how it moderates content, and earlier this year pledged to do more to prevent the spread of terror-related material in particular.

    More 400 hours of content is uploaded to YouTube per minute.

    In most cases, YouTube relies on inappropriate content being flagged by users, which it then investigates.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel admits lying over rape claim

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack

    Shehu Sani: E-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin

    EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin

    Osinbajo hails Otti’s reforms in Abia

    Osinbajo hails Otti’s reforms in Abia

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    February 20, 2026
    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel admits lying over rape claim

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack

    February 20, 2026
    Shehu Sani: E-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    February 20, 2026
    EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin

    EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.