Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Tinubu names Kayode Are as US ambassador-designate, three others 

    Tinubu signs amended 2026 Electoral Act into law

    February 18, 2026
    Newcastle cruise past Arsenal to reach Carabao Cup final

    UCL: Gordon scores four as Newcastle thrash Qarabag 6-1

    February 18, 2026
    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Tinubu signs amended 2026 Electoral Act into law
    • UCL: Gordon scores four as Newcastle thrash Qarabag 6-1
    • Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users
    • GameZone Rebate Builds Trust Within Organized Play
    • Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans
    • Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo
    • Gas leak in Plateau mine kills 37, others hospitalised
    • Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, February 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Museveni’s seventh term attempt sparks violence fears in Uganda 

    David GreatBy David GreatJanuary 17, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Museveni's seventh term attempt sparks violence fears in Uganda 
    Uganda's President, Yuweri Museveni
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

     

    Rights groups fear “mass atrocities” in Uganda as it prepares for an election next year, with President Museveni seeking a seventh term, a crackdown on the opposition and violent threats from the heir apparent.

    President Yoweri Museveni, 80, will already have been in power for 40 years when the election takes place on January 12, 2026.

    He launched the process with a voter registration drive last week.

    The opposition says hundreds of their supporters disappeared or were killed during the last presidential election in 2021 when musician-turned-politician Bobi Wine presented the biggest threat yet to Museveni’s reign.

    Wine — who has himself been arrested multiple times and survived alleged assassination attempts — is not hopeful for the 2026 vote.

    • Ugandan TikTokers arrested for insulting president

    “As the opposition and myself have experienced the most horrific treatment from the government and we know they can even do worse things, including killing me… we don’t expect the coming elections to be better,” said Wine, whose real name is Robert Kyagulanyi.

    “(Museveni) is aware his government has no legitimacy and is disliked by the population and can only use more violence to ensure he remains in power,” Wine told AFP.

    Bobi Wine has said the election was characterised by widespread fraud
    Bobi Wine

    But he added: “We are ready to carry the struggle to liberate our country, no matter how much we get into harm’s way.”

    The threats are not subtle.

    The president’s son, heir apparent and head of the armed forces, Muhoozi Kainerugaba, wrote of Wine on X this month: “If Mzee (Museveni) was not there, I would cut off his head today.”

    Wine said he didn’t take the message seriously, “but they are a pointer of what the regime of his father can do”.

    Another former presidential candidate, Kizza Besigye, was kidnapped while visiting Kenya in November and spirited back to Kampala, where he now faces charges including treason that carries a potential death penalty.

    Thirty-six members of the Forum for Democratic Change, an opposition party, were also abducted in Kenya while holding a leadership seminar in July and face terrorism charges in Uganda.

    George Kanyeihamba, a former supreme court judge, told AFP: “Violence has become part and parcel of electioneering” under Museveni and only a “miracle” would change that in 2026.

    – ‘Growing disputes’ –

    Emmanuel Dombo, spokesman for the ruling National Resistance Movement, denied all the allegations, saying the party had “consistently promoted non-violent elections”.

    “While the government and our party promote the message of peaceful elections, our opponents have been promoting messages of violence,” he said.

    The US-based Holocaust Memorial Museum recently put out a report warning of possible “mass atrocities” around the election.

    It said uncertainty about what would happen after Museveni’s death was heightening tensions, combined with “growing disputes over corruption, inadequate public services, and poor management of land and natural resources”.

    Report author Ashleigh Landau told AFP the government’s “harsh response” to protests was the key driver of violence.

    “If these protests were to continue and grow in size, the government may perceive Bobi Wine as a bigger threat to their regime and crack down much more harshly on them,” she said.

    AFP

     

     

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Tinubu names Kayode Are as US ambassador-designate, three others 

    Tinubu signs amended 2026 Electoral Act into law

    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    GameZone Rebate

    GameZone Rebate Builds Trust Within Organized Play

    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo

    Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo

    Gas leak in Plateau mine kills 37, others hospitalised

    Gas leak in Plateau mine kills 37, others hospitalised

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Tinubu names Kayode Are as US ambassador-designate, three others 

    Tinubu signs amended 2026 Electoral Act into law

    February 18, 2026
    Newcastle cruise past Arsenal to reach Carabao Cup final

    UCL: Gordon scores four as Newcastle thrash Qarabag 6-1

    February 18, 2026
    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    February 18, 2026
    GameZone Rebate

    GameZone Rebate Builds Trust Within Organized Play

    February 18, 2026
    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.