Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    LASEMA, RRS and LASTMA officials were are the scene of the accident in Ojuelegba

    LASTMA confirms one killed as tanker crashes in Lagos

    February 21, 2026
    Cameroon arrests five Nigerian pastor over politician’s abduction

    Pastor to die by hanging for killing landlord in Akwa Ibom

    February 21, 2026
    Police impose movement restriction as FCT, Rivers, Kano residents vote today

    Police impose movement restriction as FCT, Rivers, Kano residents vote today

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • LASTMA confirms one killed as tanker crashes in Lagos
    • Pastor to die by hanging for killing landlord in Akwa Ibom
    • Police impose movement restriction as FCT, Rivers, Kano residents vote today
    • Terrorists kill over 50 in Zamfara
    • Police impose 12-hour lockdown for FCT council elections
    • Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings
    • Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community
    • Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, February 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    UK Job Centre worker denies keeping Nigerian girl as slave for 14 years

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorSeptember 5, 2017No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Afolake Adeniji (middle) has denied keeping Ms Iyabo Prosper as a slave
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Afolake Adeniji (middle) has denied keeping Ms Iyabo Prosper as a slave

    A mother who allegedly tricked a Nigerian teen into flying to the UK to be her family’s slave under the pretence of a better life has claimed she was ‘part of the family’.

    Job Centre worker Afolake Adeniji, 50, arranged for Iyabo Prosper to relocate to London from her home in Nigeria back in 2003, when she was just 13, Southwark Crown Court heard.

    Promised a better life and free education, she agreed to come and live with Adeniji – first in Beckton, east London, and then Chelmsford, Essex.

    But the teenager was forced to wake up at 5.30am each morning to take care of Adeniji’s children, spending the rest of her day completing menial household chores, and only eating once the rest of the family had been served, jurors heard last week.

    When pressed by prosecutors today about what went on inside her home, Adeniji denied all of the allegations put to her, claiming Ms Prosper, now 27, said she was ‘making up stories’.

    READ: FEC meeting cancelled again, says Lai Mohammed

    “She was completely submissive to the defendant and her family and any confidence she had was lost and ebbed away,” said Ms Prosper’s lawyer, Irshad Sheikh.

    “Effectively that was what she was living – the life of domestic servitude.

    “It soon became apparent that Iyabo had become miserable, had become extremely depressed, was having negative thoughts and suicidal ideas.”

    Adeniji denies arranging or facilitating the travel of a person to the UK for exploitation and inflicting GBH, ‘namely post-traumatic stress disorder’ upon Iyabo.

    Giving evidence Adeniji told Southwark Crown Court that Ms Prosper was “making up all these stories”.

    Mr Sheikh said: “What I suggest is that Iyabo was brought here to this country to ‘help’ you and do the chores that she has mentioned.”

    “That is not correct,’ Adeniji replied, before the prosecutor followed up: ‘And that is what she did, I would suggest.”

    Adeniji answered: “I do not need her to help me. Everything was already in place before she arrived.”

    She explained to jurors how she got to know Iyabo through her older brother, who worked at the home of Adeniji’s parents.

    Adeniji refused Mr Sheikh’s suggestion that he too was a ‘houseboy’, instead describing him as ‘like a son to my parents’.

    “He was part of the extended family,” she added.

    Adeniji said Iyabo came to live “as part of my family” after her arrival from Nigeria.

    She said the teenager had her own bedroom and woke up “whenever she wants”.

    Mr Sheikh asked: “So, she didn’t get into the routine of waking up at about 5.30am? She didn’t get into any routine like that at all?”

    Adeniji replied: “Iyabo is making up all these stories. It is not correct.”

    Adeniji described all household chores being completed on Saturdays with all family members chipping in to help.

    “My husband is an early riser, he will have hoovered the stairs and cleaned the sitting room,” she said.

    “By the time we woke up, whatever was left, washing the bathroom – it could be me, Iyabo, it could be anybody – whatever was left we just took it because whatever needs to be done we just did it.”

    Following her arrest in October 2014, Adeniji blasted the accusations as ‘untrue’, instead claiming that Ms Prosper was ‘part of a loving family’ and ‘given financial and emotional support’.

    Describing the time Ms Prosper eventually moved out, she added: ‘There was no fight. There was nothing.

    “It was amicable when she left and she was coming back as she wished, not to help me.”

    She added: “I didn’t need anybody to help me do chores and look after the children. All I did was just to help Iyabo.”

    Adeniji, of no fixed address but previously of Chelmsford, Essex, denies arranging or facilitating the travel to the UK of a person with a view to exploitation and inflicting GBH.

    The trial continues.

    MailOnline

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    LASEMA, RRS and LASTMA officials were are the scene of the accident in Ojuelegba

    LASTMA confirms one killed as tanker crashes in Lagos

    Cameroon arrests five Nigerian pastor over politician’s abduction

    Pastor to die by hanging for killing landlord in Akwa Ibom

    Police impose movement restriction as FCT, Rivers, Kano residents vote today

    Police impose movement restriction as FCT, Rivers, Kano residents vote today

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kill over 50 in Zamfara

    Police impose 12-hour lockdown for FCT council elections

    Police impose 12-hour lockdown for FCT council elections

    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    LASEMA, RRS and LASTMA officials were are the scene of the accident in Ojuelegba

    LASTMA confirms one killed as tanker crashes in Lagos

    February 21, 2026
    Cameroon arrests five Nigerian pastor over politician’s abduction

    Pastor to die by hanging for killing landlord in Akwa Ibom

    February 21, 2026
    Police impose movement restriction as FCT, Rivers, Kano residents vote today

    Police impose movement restriction as FCT, Rivers, Kano residents vote today

    February 21, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kill over 50 in Zamfara

    February 21, 2026
    Police impose 12-hour lockdown for FCT council elections

    Police impose 12-hour lockdown for FCT council elections

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.