Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    February 19, 2026
    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    February 19, 2026
    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara
    • Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track
    • Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026
    • Ondo monarch killed by terrorists
    • Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest
    • Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals
    • Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection
    • Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Obi criticises Nigeria’s legal system over death-for-fowl sentence

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoDecember 20, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    ADC exempts Peter Obi, El-Rufai from defecting from LP, SDP
    Former Anambra state governor Peter Obi
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Labour Party’s presidential candidate in the 2023 election, Peter Obi, has berated the Nigerian legal system for what he described as “harsh inequalities” in the administration of justice.

    Obi’s words came after a contentious theft case involving Segun Olowookere, who was condemned to death for stealing a chicken in Osun State.

    Olowookere and his accomplice, Morakinyo Sunday, were arrested in 2010 at the age of 17 for breaking into the homes of a police officer and another individual.

    After years of legal proceedings, Justice Jide Falola of the Osun State High Court condemned the couple to death by hanging in 2014, finding them guilty of breaking into the police officer’s home and taking his possessions.

    The case has caused extensive discussion among Nigerians, prompting the intervention of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke.

    • Adeleke orders investigation after man gets death sentence for stealing fowl

    The governor asked the state’s attorney general and commissioner for justice to thoroughly investigate the matter and begin the process of giving Olowookere the prerogative of mercy.

    In a statement, Adeleke said, “Osun is a land of justice and equity, and we must ensure fairness and protection of the sanctity of lives. I assure members of the public that this matter is receiving my direct attention, with every sense of urgency attached to our response.”

    Obi responded to the development on Friday via his X Twitter, praising Adeleke’s intervention while decrying the inequities in Nigeria’s justice system.

    Obi wrote, “I commend Governor Ademola Adeleke for stepping in to prevent the inhumane punishment of death by hanging for the theft of a fowl and eggs—an offence for which the individual had already spent 14 years in prison.

    “That sentence alone far exceeded the demands of justice if the crime warranted such consideration in the first place.

    “This case underscores the harsh inequalities of the Nigerian legal system. If you dare to speak freely, you are treated as a criminal and silenced. If you embezzle billions of public funds, you are celebrated, even when caught and taken to court.

    “Yet, those pursuing honest, legitimate businesses are burdened by oppressive regulations and treated with suspicion, as though success through integrity is a crime.”

    Olowookere’s parents described their trauma and expressed hope for justice in an interview on Abiola Adebayo’s Talk To B show, which aired on Tuesday.

    They explained the events leading up to their son’s conviction and the ensuing challenges he faced, claiming that he was unfairly convicted.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected bandits.

    Ondo monarch killed by terrorists

    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals

    Yoon: South Korea’s ex-president indicted for abuse of power

    Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    February 19, 2026
    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    February 19, 2026
    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    February 19, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected bandits.

    Ondo monarch killed by terrorists

    February 19, 2026
    Gabon suspends social media amid 'fake news', rising unrest

    Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.