Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Shehu Sani: E-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    February 20, 2026
    EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin

    EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin

    February 20, 2026
    Osinbajo hails Otti’s reforms in Abia

    Osinbajo hails Otti’s reforms in Abia

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 
    • EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin
    • Osinbajo hails Otti’s reforms in Abia
    • SERAP asks court to strike out DSS N5.5bn suit
    • NOA slams traders over Ramadan, Lent food price spike
    • ICPC raids El-Rufai’s residence amid probe
    • Crystal Palace waste lead to draw Zrinjski 1-1
    • When African fans started reading the game like experts
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Kenya to hold fresh presidential poll October 17

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorSeptember 4, 2017No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Kenya’s Supreme Court declared the results of last month’s presidential poll “invalid, null and void” and ordered the election be re-run within 60 days.
    Kenya’s Supreme Court
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Kenya’s Supreme Court declared the results of last month’s presidential poll “invalid, null and void” and ordered the election be re-run within 60 days.
    Kenya’s Supreme Court overturned the results of last month’s poll won by president Uhuru kenyatta

    Kenya will hold a fresh presidential vote on October 17, the election commission said Monday, after the country’s Supreme Court overturned the result of last month’s poll won by President Uhuru Kenyatta.

    “A fresh presidential election will be held on the 17th of October 2017,” said a statement signed by Wafula Chebukati, chairperson of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC).

    “This is in conformity with the Supreme Court decision annulling the presidential election held on 8th August 2017.”

    Chebukati said only Kenyatta and opposition leader Raila Odinga, who brought the court challenge, would be on the ballot paper, along with their running mates.

    At least one of the six other minor candidates who participated in August’s election immediately threatened to go to court insisting he be included on next month’s ballot.

    Read Also FFP: La Liga ask UEFA to investigate Man City

    On Friday, chief justice David Maraga cancelled the results of the August poll saying the election commission had failed to hold a legitimate election and that the results were therefore “invalid, null and void”.

    He added that the IEBC had committed “irregularities and illegalities” in the transmission of results from polling stations to the national tally centre.

    However, a full explanation of the court’s reasoning has yet to be published.

    “It is imperative that a detailed judgement… is released in order to allow the Commission to identify areas that require improvement,” Chebukati said.

    He called “for patience and understanding among all stakeholders as we work together to deliver free, fair, credible and peaceful elections.”

    – Fourth time lucky? –
    Kenyatta has committed to campaigning hard to win the new election while Odinga has called for IEBC personnel to be replaced — and prosecuted — in light of the court ruling.

    Odinga’s National Super Alliance (NASA) coalition alleges that fraud affected around a third of the 15.5 million votes cast last month, in which Kenyatta was declared victor by a margin of 1.4 million, and accuses IEBC officials of complicity in the rigging.

    This was the third time in a row that Odinga had cried foul. The disputed result of the 2007 election triggered widespread violence that left over 1,100 people dead while in 2013 the Supreme Court threw out Odinga’s challenge.

    Friday’s court ruling was greeted with surprise in Kenya and elsewhere because the judiciary has rarely shown such independence from the executive.

    Afterwards Odinga hailed the “historic” ruling while Kenyatta described the judges as “crooks” but said he would abide by the decision.

    The run-up to the August 8 election was marred by the murder of a top IEBC IT official and opposition allegations that rigging was certain.

    Odinga alleged fraud shortly after counting began, claiming the system transmitting votes had been hacked, and that forms from polling stations that were meant to back up the electronic results were not being uploaded.

    The August 11 declaration of Kenyatta’s victory with 54 percent of the vote sparked two days of protests in the slums of Nairobi and Kisumu, traditional opposition strongholds.

    At least 21 people, including a baby and a nine-year-old girl, were killed, mostly by police, according to an AFP tally.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Ghana fans at an Africa football game

    When African fans started reading the game like experts

    Tinubu seeks Nigerians' forgiveness as Ramadan, Lent begin

    Tinubu advocates fairer African financial system

    Residents flee to Benin Republic as terrorists invade Niger again

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Tinubu seeks Nigerians' forgiveness as Ramadan, Lent begin

    Tinubu demands release of South Sudan VP Machar

    AU grants Nigeria permanent seat on African Central Bank Board

    AU grants Nigeria permanent seat on African Central Bank Board

    Super Eagles into semi-finals as Osimhen, Akor sink Algeria

    Osimhen on IFFHS top scorers list alongside Messi, Mbappe

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Shehu Sani: E-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    February 20, 2026
    EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin

    EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin

    February 20, 2026
    Osinbajo hails Otti’s reforms in Abia

    Osinbajo hails Otti’s reforms in Abia

    February 20, 2026
    SERAP asks court to strike out DSS N5.5bn suit

    SERAP asks court to strike out DSS N5.5bn suit

    February 20, 2026
    NOA slams traders over Ramadan, Lent food price spike

    NOA slams traders over Ramadan, Lent food price spike

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.