Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Yoon: South Korea’s ex-president indicted for abuse of power

    Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection

    February 19, 2026
    Bolt has revealed that Isaac Satlat, the Nigerian student murdered by suspected carjackers in Pretoria, South Africa, was an illegal driver.

    Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally

    February 19, 2026
    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection
    • Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally
    • Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest
    • Vinicius gets support from football stars over racist abuse incident
    • US to withdraw all troops from Syria
    • Police deploy personnel ahead of FCT council elections
    • DSS detains El-Rufai after EFCC probe
    • Tinubu strips NNPCL of oil revenue deduction powers, orders direct remittance to FAAC
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Ex-president Lungu barred from seeking re-election in Zambia

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoDecember 10, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Former Zambian president Edgar Lungu dies at 68
    Former Zambian President Edgar Lungu
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Supreme Court of Zambia has barred former President Edgar Lungu from running for re-election in 2026. 

    The Supreme Court found that the 68-year-old legislator had already completed the maximum two terms allowed by law.

    Lungu was first elected president in January 2015, serving the final 20 months of his predecessor’s term. President Michael Sata died in office in October 2014. Lungu contended that this should not count because he did not fulfil the entire five-year tenure.

    However, the court disagreed, overturning previous orders that allowed him to run three years ago when he lost to Hakainde Hichilema.

    “Mr. Edgar Chagwa Lungu has therefore been twice elected and has twice held office. The [constitution] makes him ineligible to participate in any future elections as a presidential candidate,” the court ruled.

    Last month, the opposition Tonse Alliance chose Lungu to be its presidential candidate in the 2026 election, challenging President Hichilema.

    • South Korea bars more officials from foreign travel

    Their pick of Lungu came a year after Zambia’s government revoked his retirement benefits and privileges following his decision to return to active politics.

    Lungu began jogging in public with members of the public and his supporters as part of his efforts to resurrect his public profile, which the police described as “political activism.”.

    In October, President Hichilema fired three top judges involved in the controversial verdict that enabled Lungu to run in the 2021 elections, infuriating Lungu loyalists.

    At the time, the presidency supported the dismissals, claiming that Hichilema was bound by the Judicial Complaints Commission’s decision to remove the judges due to charges of judicial misconduct.

    The former president said he accepted the Constitutional Court’s decision, which he said was not surprising given that it was guided by “the hands of political manipulation”.

    “It speaks to the erosion of judicial independence, the weakening of our democratic foundations, and the weaponization of our institutions for short-term gain,” he posted on social media.

    “I am filled not with bitterness but with renewed determination, political hope, and faith that democracy, not court politics, shall certainly win in 2026 without any doubt.”

    The government hailed the decision, which brings an end to a long-running court struggle.

    “This decision provides legal clarity for citizens and safeguards our democracy, allowing us to look forward to free, fair, and competitive elections in 2026,” Attorney General Mulilo Kabesha said in a statement.

    Following Sata’s death and Lungu’s first election, the constitution was modified to ensure that the vice president takes office immediately if the existing president dies.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Yoon: South Korea’s ex-president indicted for abuse of power

    Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection

    Bolt has revealed that Isaac Satlat, the Nigerian student murdered by suspected carjackers in Pretoria, South Africa, was an illegal driver.

    Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally

    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    US to withdraw all troops from Syria

    Police deploy personnel ahead of FCT council elections

    Police deploy personnel ahead of FCT council elections

    DSS detains El-Rufai after EFCC probe

    DSS detains El-Rufai after EFCC probe

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Yoon: South Korea’s ex-president indicted for abuse of power

    Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection

    February 19, 2026
    Bolt has revealed that Isaac Satlat, the Nigerian student murdered by suspected carjackers in Pretoria, South Africa, was an illegal driver.

    Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally

    February 19, 2026
    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    February 19, 2026
    Vinicius Junior scored a spectacular winner for Real Madrid against Benfica in their Champions League play-off first leg, which was stopped for 10 minutes for alleged racist abuse.

    Vinicius gets support from football stars over racist abuse incident

    February 19, 2026
    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    US to withdraw all troops from Syria

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.