Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Shehu Sani: E-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    February 20, 2026
    EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin

    EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin

    February 20, 2026
    Osinbajo hails Otti’s reforms in Abia

    Osinbajo hails Otti’s reforms in Abia

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 
    • EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin
    • Osinbajo hails Otti’s reforms in Abia
    • SERAP asks court to strike out DSS N5.5bn suit
    • NOA slams traders over Ramadan, Lent food price spike
    • ICPC raids El-Rufai’s residence amid probe
    • Crystal Palace waste lead to draw Zrinjski 1-1
    • When African fans started reading the game like experts
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Kenya media hail ‘bombshell’ court ruling to annul vote

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorSeptember 2, 2017No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Kenya’s Supreme Court declared the results of last month’s presidential poll “invalid, null and void” and ordered the election be re-run within 60 days.
    Kenya’s Supreme Court
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Kenya’s Supreme Court declared the results of last month’s presidential poll “invalid, null and void” and ordered the election be re-run within 60 days.
    Kenya’s Supreme Court declared the results of last month’s presidential poll “invalid, null and void” and ordered the election be re-run within 60 days.

    Kenya’s press on Saturday praised the Supreme Court decision to annul last month’s presidential poll as a hard-fought victory for the rule of law, and sign of a maturing democracy.

    Pointing to widespread irregularities in the electronic transmission of vote results, Chief Justice David Maraga declared President Uhuru Kenyatta’s victory “invalid, null and void”.

    The unexpected ruling in favour of opposition leader Raila Odinga stunned the nation.

    The Saturday Standard headlined its front page “Maraga Thunder”, while the Star went with “Not yet, Uhuru” and the Saturday Nation had “Raila’s big victory”.

    All agreed that what the Nation termed a “Supreme Bombshell” was a welcome sign of the judiciary’s independence.

    “Kenyans have struggled for decades to institutionalise the rule of law. We have fought, shed blood, lost lives and property in search of constitutional order,” the paper said in an editorial.

    “Intrinsic in this is the desire to establish independent institutions that provide checks and balances against each other.”

    Read Also Knife-wielding Boko Haram members kill 18 in Banki, Nigeria

    It said the ruling “signalled the end of the era of impunity that has painfully assailed this country for too long.”

    Writing in the Star, the president of the Law Society of Kenya wrote that every election except that in 2002 had been plagued by “complaints, irregularities, suspicion of impropriety” that no court had been willing to properly tackle.

    The paper’s editorial said the decision “will reverberate for years to come in Kenya and around the continent”.

    – Mammoth task ahead –
    It is the first time a presidential election result was overturned in Africa. Similar court rulings have been seen in Austria, Haiti, Ukraine, Serbia and the Maldives.

    The press also raised prickly questions about the weeks to come. The new election must be held by October 31, and the opposition has declared it has lost all confidence in the electoral commission (IEBC).

    “How it will conduct the next elections in the next 60 days in unimaginable,” said the Nation.

    “Already the NASA leadership has declared war on the commission and with or without that, its credibility has been severely dented and the public has lost confidence in it.”

    The Standard said the IEBC must “clean up house”.

    “What Kenya needs most now is an election conducted in a legal, fair and transparent manner.”

    As the country awaits the full ruling of the court, other questions remain such as what the decision means for the electronic vote transmission system, and whether the IEBC budgeted for another election.

    “This is not the end. The toughest journey, campaigns and elections, is yet to begin,” wrote the Nation.

    With a touch of humour, the Standard published a cartoon showing Maraga standing on top of a globe, while a voice from the other side of the planet says: “Kenia? I thought they were only known for athletics?!” in a likely jab at the colonial pronunciation of the country’s name.

    Source: theguardianng

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Ghana fans at an Africa football game

    When African fans started reading the game like experts

    Tinubu seeks Nigerians' forgiveness as Ramadan, Lent begin

    Tinubu advocates fairer African financial system

    Residents flee to Benin Republic as terrorists invade Niger again

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Tinubu seeks Nigerians' forgiveness as Ramadan, Lent begin

    Tinubu demands release of South Sudan VP Machar

    AU grants Nigeria permanent seat on African Central Bank Board

    AU grants Nigeria permanent seat on African Central Bank Board

    Aminu Gusau tops FG nominees for AU Eminent Persons Panel

    Aminu Gusau tops FG nominees for AU Eminent Persons Panel

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Shehu Sani: E-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    February 20, 2026
    EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin

    EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin

    February 20, 2026
    Osinbajo hails Otti’s reforms in Abia

    Osinbajo hails Otti’s reforms in Abia

    February 20, 2026
    SERAP asks court to strike out DSS N5.5bn suit

    SERAP asks court to strike out DSS N5.5bn suit

    February 20, 2026
    NOA slams traders over Ramadan, Lent food price spike

    NOA slams traders over Ramadan, Lent food price spike

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.