Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    February 19, 2026
    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    February 19, 2026
    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara
    • Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track
    • Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026
    • Ondo monarch killed by terrorists
    • Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest
    • Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals
    • Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection
    • Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Rebecca Cheptegei: Uganda to bury murdered olympian on Saturday

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedSeptember 14, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Rebecca Cheptegei, Ugandan Olympian battles for life after being set on fire
    Rebecca Cheptegei
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Uganda on Saturday will lay to rest Olympian Rebecca Cheptegei, who died earlier this month after her partner set her on fire in the latest incident of horrific gender-based violence in Kenya.

    The 33-year-old, who debuted this summer in the women’s marathon at the Paris Olympics, succumbed to severe burns last week after being attacked by Dickson Ndiema Marangach.

    The brutal assault shocked the East African region and prompted a global outpouring of tributes, with activists condemning another act of gender-based violence.

    Rain fell as the athlete’s body crossed the Kenya-Uganda border late Friday afternoon ahead of the funeral in the family’s village of Bukwo, some 380 kilometres (240 miles) northeast of Uganda’s capital Kampala.

    “We are extremely saddened,” said her estranged husband Simon Ayeko, with whom she had two daughters.

    “As a father it has been very difficult,” he told AFP, explaining he had not been able to break the news to their children.

    • Rebecca Cheptegei’s killer dies in hospital

    “Slowly we will tell them the truth.”

    Cheptegei, a sergeant in the Uganda Peoples’ Defence Forces, will be buried starting around 10:00 am (0700 GMT) with military honours, Beatrice Ayikoru, Uganda’s Olympics Committee secretary general and part of the burial organising committee, told AFP.

    Scores of athletes have travelled to the small village to attend.

    “She greatly contributed to the promotion of athletics until her last days,” coach Alex Malinga, who trained her as a teenager, told AFP.

    ‘Relationship soured’ 

    Local media say Cheptegei’s daughters witnessed the attack. Police said Marangach snuck into her home while she was at church with her children.

    Her family say the couple had argued over ownership of the property where she lived with her sister Dorcas Cherop and daughters.

    Her attacker later died from injuries sustained in the assault.

    “I think at that time, their relationship had become sour,” Cheptegei’s brother-in-law, Moses Kipsiro, told AFP.

    “I didn’t know then something was wrong,” said Kipsiro, who previously trained with Cheptegei and also hails from Bukwo.

    The vicious assault has thrown yet another spotlight on what activists have called a femicide epidemic.

    Kenya reported 725 femicide cases in 2022 alone, according to the latest UN figures.

    A report the following year by Kenya’s National Bureau of Statistics found 34 percent of women had experienced physical violence since the age of 15.

    At least two other athletes, Agnes Tirop and Damaris Mutua, have lost their lives in domestic violence incidents since 2021.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected bandits.

    Ondo monarch killed by terrorists

    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals

    Yoon: South Korea’s ex-president indicted for abuse of power

    Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    February 19, 2026
    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    February 19, 2026
    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    February 19, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected bandits.

    Ondo monarch killed by terrorists

    February 19, 2026
    Gabon suspends social media amid 'fake news', rising unrest

    Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.