Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    The terrorists who kidnapped about 35 worshippers from the Christ Apostolic Church, Oke-Igan, Eruku, in the Ekiti Local Government Area of Kwara State, have reportedly demanded N100 million ransom per victim.

    Kwara govt yet to release freed church abductees after one week

    November 29, 2025
    Terrorists now using satellite communication, says NASRDA

    Terrorists now using satellite communication, says NASRDA

    November 29, 2025
    Tax reforms: NOA launches nationwide campaign to counter misinformation

    Tax reforms: NOA launches nationwide campaign to counter misinformation

    November 29, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Kwara govt yet to release freed church abductees after one week
    • Terrorists now using satellite communication, says NASRDA
    • Tax reforms: NOA launches nationwide campaign to counter misinformation
    • Jonathan says Guinea Bissau coup painful than losing to Buhari
    • Nollywood actor Lere Paimo dies at 86
    • Terrorism: Northern governors get N56bn security votes
    • Obasanjo urges FG to stop negotiating with terrorists
    • Tinubu sets up national tax policy implementation committee
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, November 29
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Fayose: Polygamy, high birth rates in north worsen Nigeria’s economic struggles

    MayorBy MayorJuly 30, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Fayose says PDP will finish fourth in 2027 elections
    Former Ekiti governor, Ayodele Fayose
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Former Ekiti Governor and ally of President Bola Tinubu, Ayodele Fayose, has expressed concerns about the practice of northerners marrying multiple wives and having many children, describing it as a significant issue for Nigeria and a burden on the government.

    In an interview on Channels TV on Monday night, Fayose discussed the challenges facing the government in alleviating the sufferings of millions of Nigerians under President Tinubu’s administration.

    He pointed to the practice of polygamy and high birth rates in Northern Nigeria as factors exacerbating the country’s population crisis.

    The former governor shared his observations on the matter, highlighting how these practices contribute to the nation’s challenges, “Let me say this. I went to one state in the North. I don’t want to mention the name of the state. I was there for three days. During my stay, I became familiar with people around the government house where I stayed.

    “I sat outside and started speaking with one or two people. I asked the gateman how long he had been in government work. He said he had spent 26 years. I asked how much his salary was. He said it was small, N34,000. I asked how many children he had. He said 16. I asked how many wives he had. He said four.”

    • Fayose threatens to demolish house over tenants’ debts

    He added, “My brother, the problem is inside… For God’s sake, if somebody is earning N34,000, what can the government do with 17 children? We don’t want to be unrealistic.

    The former Ekiti governor continued, “Another person said he has eight children and three wives, with one of his wives still expecting.

    “A lot has to be done with our people too. Because when you have children and you go into government, a government that is struggling to survive, it is difficult when you are asking me what I would say to them. What do I say to a man who has 17 children and four wives?” he said.

    Fayose’s comments come in the wake of public outrage over prevailing economic hardships characterised by a high cost of living crisis under President Tinubu’s watch.

    He argued that one year was too quick for Tinubu’s government to fix a hunger crisis that predated his presidency, adding that former President Muhammadu Buhari served eight years without protests over hunger in the country.

    “This hunger started a long time ago. That was why there was a rally at one point demanding ‘Jonathan must go.’ Jonathan left, but that hunger did not stop. Buhari came. I spoke to power. Buhari spent eight years, and nobody said anything. I don’t remember any rallies,” Mr Fayose said.

    “Nigeria is a very difficult country to govern. We all know that. If a man is to spend four years, give him a mid-term.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    The terrorists who kidnapped about 35 worshippers from the Christ Apostolic Church, Oke-Igan, Eruku, in the Ekiti Local Government Area of Kwara State, have reportedly demanded N100 million ransom per victim.

    Kwara govt yet to release freed church abductees after one week

    Terrorists now using satellite communication, says NASRDA

    Terrorists now using satellite communication, says NASRDA

    Tax reforms: NOA launches nationwide campaign to counter misinformation

    Tax reforms: NOA launches nationwide campaign to counter misinformation

    2027: Court asked to restrain Jonathan from contesting

    Jonathan says Guinea Bissau coup painful than losing to Buhari

    Veteran Nollywood actor and cultural icon Lere Paimo

    Nollywood actor Lere Paimo dies at 86

    Terrorists now using satellite communication, says NASRDA

    Terrorism: Northern governors get N56bn security votes

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    The terrorists who kidnapped about 35 worshippers from the Christ Apostolic Church, Oke-Igan, Eruku, in the Ekiti Local Government Area of Kwara State, have reportedly demanded N100 million ransom per victim.

    Kwara govt yet to release freed church abductees after one week

    November 29, 2025
    Terrorists now using satellite communication, says NASRDA

    Terrorists now using satellite communication, says NASRDA

    November 29, 2025
    Tax reforms: NOA launches nationwide campaign to counter misinformation

    Tax reforms: NOA launches nationwide campaign to counter misinformation

    November 29, 2025
    2027: Court asked to restrain Jonathan from contesting

    Jonathan says Guinea Bissau coup painful than losing to Buhari

    November 29, 2025
    Veteran Nollywood actor and cultural icon Lere Paimo

    Nollywood actor Lere Paimo dies at 86

    November 29, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2025 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.