Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Lakurawa terrorists Kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    February 20, 2026
    Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau State has expressed great grief over the cruel attack by suspected terrorists on a mining site in Kuru District, Jos South Local Government Area, which cost the lives of several innocents.

    Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct

    February 20, 2026
    NSCDC foils armed herders attack on Plateau farmers

    NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack
    • Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct
    • NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara
    • Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City
    • DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25
    • 100-level UniAbuja student goes missing
    • El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC
    • Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    UN committee wants Nigeria to rescue women, girls from Boko Haram

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJuly 24, 2017No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Chibok
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Some rescued Chibok girls reunite with parents in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital

    A United Nations human rights committee called on the Nigerian government on Monday to step up efforts to rescue all women and girls abducted by Boko Haram and to ensure they return to school without stigma.

    Roughly 100 of the 270 girls abducted by the Islamist militants at their secondary school in Chibok in northeast Nigeria in April 2014 have been released and another 60 have escaped, but about 100 are still believed to be in captivity.

    Nigeria was one of eight countries whose records were examined by the UN Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women at a three-week session.

    Nigeria should “intensify its efforts to rescue all women and girls abducted by Boko Haram insurgents, ensure their rehabilitation and integration into society and provide them and their families with access to psychological and other rehabilitation services,” said the UN committee of 23 experts.

    READ: Dufil Prima Food plans to raise 40 billion naira

    Boko Haram has killed 20,000 people and displaced more than 2 million during a seven-year insurgency aimed at creating an Islamic caliphate.

    Although the Chibok girls are the most high-profile case, Boko Haram has kidnapped thousands of adults and children, many of whose cases are neglected, aid groups say.

    Girls who were abducted by Boko Haram from Chibok and Damasak in Borno State in April and November 2014, “continue to be subjected to rape, sexual slavery, forced marriage and impregnation by Boko Haram insurgents,” the panel said.

    Nigeria’s presidency referred a request for comment to the ministry of women’s affairs. The ministry was not immediately available for comment.

    In May, Nigerian officials said that the Chibok girls found last year would be going back to school in September.

    “Of course we commended (Nigeria) for the rescue of 100 of them who are currently, we’re told, kept in Abuja, going through psycho-social counselling,” panel member Hilary Gbedemah told Reuters.

    Many girls in the northeast have dropped out of school due to the insurgency and schools must be secured to protect students, the panel said.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Lakurawa terrorists Kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau State has expressed great grief over the cruel attack by suspected terrorists on a mining site in Kuru District, Jos South Local Government Area, which cost the lives of several innocents.

    Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct

    NSCDC foils armed herders attack on Plateau farmers

    NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    UniAbuja student goes missing

    100-level UniAbuja student goes missing

    ICPC arrests El-Rufai over ongoing corruption investigation

    El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Lakurawa terrorists Kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    February 20, 2026
    Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau State has expressed great grief over the cruel attack by suspected terrorists on a mining site in Kuru District, Jos South Local Government Area, which cost the lives of several innocents.

    Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct

    February 20, 2026
    NSCDC foils armed herders attack on Plateau farmers

    NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara

    February 20, 2026
    Rooney leaves Plymouth Argyle after dismal run

    Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City

    February 20, 2026
    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.