Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Yusuf rejoins APC with lawmakers, LGA chairmen in Kano

    Yusuf reveals joining APC to secure Kano citizens’ interest

    February 17, 2026
    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup

    February 17, 2026
    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Yusuf reveals joining APC to secure Kano citizens’ interest
    • Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup
    • Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno
    • El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe
    • ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95
    • Social network X restored after global outage
    • Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others
    • US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Alonso to stay at Leverkusen amid Liverpool interest

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedMarch 29, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Real Madrid deserved 5-2 derby loss – Alonso
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Xabi Alonso says he will remain in his role as Bayer Leverkusen manager next season as he believes the club is the “right place” to be as a young coach.

    The Spaniard had been heavily linked with the manager’s job at Liverpool since Jurgen Klopp said he would stand down at the end of the season.

    “I am convinced it is the right decision; I am happy,” said Alonso.

    Leverkusen are on the brink of winning their first Bundesliga title and are unbeaten in all competitions this season.

    Alonso, 42, a former midfielder for Liverpool, was also considered a potential successor at Bayern Munich, where manager Thomas Tuchel will also depart at the end of the season.

    Alonso said he had informed Leverkusen’s directors of his decision to stay at the club last week.

    “We have had a lot of speculation regarding my future,” he said. “Until now, we have had so many games and been pretty busy and focused, and I wanted to reflect during the international break and take a decision.

    “The players gave me so many reasons to keep believing in the team—for their commitment, for their desire, for their hunger to have a great season. My job is not over here.”

    Signed from Real Sociedad in 2004, Alonso went on to make 210 appearances for Liverpool and won the Champions League with the club in 2005.

    He left in 2009 to join Real Madrid, another team he has recently been linked with, and moved to Bayern five years later before retiring as a player in 2017.

    • Klopp endorses Alonso as a new generation ‘standout’ coach

    Asked about interest from two of his former clubs, Alonso said, “It wouldn’t be correct of me to talk about other clubs when they are in this situation. For sure, there are clubs to which I have a strong link, as  I played there. So I respect them.

    “I have the conviction that I am in the right place at Bayer Leverkusen, and I want to keep growing with the club and with the players.

    “We have speculated enough. I want to enjoy wherever I am, and I am enjoying it at Leverkusen.”

    Alonso moved into coaching with Real Madrid’s Under-14 side in 2018 and followed that with three years in charge of Real Sociedad’s B team.

    In October 2022, Leverkusen gave him his first managerial role in first-team football, and, having taken over with the club second from bottom in the Bundesliga, Alonso led them to a sixth-place finish.

    In his first full term in charge this season, Leverkusen are 10 points clear of champions Bayern with eight games remaining.

    They are also in the semi-finals of the German Cup and the quarter-finals of the Europa League.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup

    Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break

    Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast

    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    Liverpool thrash Brighton 3-0 in FA Cup clash

    Liverpool thrash Brighton 3-0 in FA Cup clash

    Real Madrid: Alonso says 'n o case with Vinicius' over El Clasico outburst

    Real Madrid top La Liga after 4-1 win over Sociedad

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Yusuf rejoins APC with lawmakers, LGA chairmen in Kano

    Yusuf reveals joining APC to secure Kano citizens’ interest

    February 17, 2026
    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup

    February 17, 2026
    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    February 17, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    February 17, 2026
    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.