Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Pope Leo flags Nigeria over rising Christian persecution concerns

    Pope urges Christians to refrain from slander as Lent begins

    February 18, 2026
    Borussia Dortmund Niclas Fuellkurg scored the only goal of the match against PSG

    Borussia Dortmund get 2-0 Champions League win over Atalanta

    February 18, 2026
    Desire Doue

    Doue scores brace as PSG comeback to beat 10-man Monaco

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Pope urges Christians to refrain from slander as Lent begins
    • Borussia Dortmund get 2-0 Champions League win over Atalanta
    • Doue scores brace as PSG comeback to beat 10-man Monaco
    • Vinicius scores winner despite racist abuse in Benfica clash
    • 2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation
    • Tinubu advocates fairer African financial system
    • Sultan confirms moon sighting, declares Wednesday beginning of Ramadan
    • Galatasaray thrash Juventus 5-2 in thrilling UCL clash
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, February 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Stanley Kakubo, foreign minister resigns over bribery video leak

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoDecember 27, 2023No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Stanley Kakubo, foreign minister resigns over bribery video leak
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Zambia’s Foreign Minister Stanley Kakubo has reportedly resigned after allegedly being captured on video accepting a large sum of money from a Chinese businessman.

    However, the foreign minister did not deny appearing in the video.

    Kakubo, on the other hand, stated that he was facing “malicious claims over a business transaction” and had resigned so that the administration would not be “distracted” by the matter.

    Two men are shown in the video sitting beside a table, counting the neatly arranged cash, which includes both US dollars and Zambian kwacha.

    Their faces are obscured, but social media users speculated that the men were Mr. Kakubo and a Chinese businessman.

    Some others wondered why no bank transfer had been made and whether taxes had been paid as a result of the transaction.

    On social media, there were also unverified photographs of signed, handwritten messages. According to one source, $100,000 was “exchanged” between a Zambian and a Chinese mining company. Another, dated July 8, 2022, stated a total of $200,000.

    Mr. Kakubo did not deny the validity of the video or the handwritten comments in his resignation letter.

    Instead, he claimed to be the victim of “malicious claims over a business transaction between my private family business and our business partner, with whom we still have good relations.”.

    He said he had resigned as a minister to ensure that the government was not “distracted” from its efforts to improve the lives of Zambians, but he would remain an MP.

    “In due course, we will provide the accurate context surrounding the recent developments,” Kakubo said.

    Mr. Hichilema accepted his resignation, saying he admired the former foreign minister’s “commendable work and leadership.”

    Mr. Kakubo has found himself at the center of a dispute for the second time.

    He was suspected of accepting a bribe last year after he was seen leaving the headquarters of a Chinese-owned cement company with a briefcase.

    He denied any misconduct, but the president backed him by stating that he had received a calendar and a diary.

    Chinese firms are significant investors in Zambia. In 2022, the Chinese Embassy reported that more than 600 Chinese companies had spent more than $3 billion in Zambia.

    Mr. Kakubo is the first minister to be forced to quit since President Hakainde Hichilema’s inauguration in August 2021.

    Mr. Hichilema has promised to combat corruption, but the opposition accuses him of unfairly targeting its members, which he disputes.

    Ex-President Edgar Lungu remarked in response to Mr. Kakubo’s departure that he should be investigated for potential corruption.

    “I am not implying that Kakubo is guilty. All I am saying is that if there are no sacred cows in Mr. Hichilema’s fight against corruption, Kakubo should be investigated and, if needed, prosecuted,” Mr. Lungu said.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Pope Leo flags Nigeria over rising Christian persecution concerns

    Pope urges Christians to refrain from slander as Lent begins

    2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation

    2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation

    Tinubu vows to crush terrorism, says insecurity hurts Nigeria’s economy

    Tinubu advocates fairer African financial system

    Sultan of Sokoto

    Sultan confirms moon sighting, declares Wednesday beginning of Ramadan

    Senate approves electronic transmission of results, permits manual upload as backup

    Senate passes Electoral Act Amendment Bill

    Opposition lawmakers stage walk out over manual collation of results as backup

    Opposition lawmakers stage walk out over manual collation of results as backup

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Pope Leo flags Nigeria over rising Christian persecution concerns

    Pope urges Christians to refrain from slander as Lent begins

    February 18, 2026
    Borussia Dortmund Niclas Fuellkurg scored the only goal of the match against PSG

    Borussia Dortmund get 2-0 Champions League win over Atalanta

    February 18, 2026
    Desire Doue

    Doue scores brace as PSG comeback to beat 10-man Monaco

    February 18, 2026
    Vinicius Junior scored a spectacular winner for Real Madrid against Benfica in their Champions League play-off first leg, which was stopped for 10 minutes for alleged racist abuse.

    Vinicius scores winner despite racist abuse in Benfica clash

    February 18, 2026
    2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation

    2027: Tinubu appoints Uba Sani to lead APC mobilisation

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.