Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    UK rolls out digital visit visas for Nigerians

    UK rolls out digital visit visas for Nigerians

    February 17, 2026
    Yusuf rejoins APC with lawmakers, LGA chairmen in Kano

    Yusuf reveals joining APC to secure Kano citizens’ interest

    February 17, 2026
    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • UK rolls out digital visit visas for Nigerians
    • Yusuf reveals joining APC to secure Kano citizens’ interest
    • Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup
    • Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno
    • El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe
    • ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95
    • Social network X restored after global outage
    • Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Wike announces N3.5m land C of O fee, launch of new buses, taxis in FCT

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoNovember 25, 2023No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Tinubu urges Wike to dump PDP, join APC
    FCT minister Nyesom Wike
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Barr. Nyesom Wike, has announced a review of the price for the issuance of Certificates of Occupancy.

    According to Wike’s directive, the issuance of Certificates of Occupancy will now cost N3.5 million, a reduction from the previously proposed cost of N5 million.

    This was revealed by Wike during his second monthly ministerial media parley, which was held on Friday, November 24th, in his office.

    The minister, who spoke on a wide range of issues, disclosed that the decision to reduce the cost of C of O was based on the recommendations of the Task Force set up on the issuance of C of Os in mass housing estates and the recovery of land use contravention fees.

    It should be noted that the Task Force proposed a payment of N5 million, which was widely opposed by stakeholders, causing the formation of an interface between estate developers and residents’ associations.

    During that meeting, the minister hinted at the prospect of lowering the cost of issuing the land deed.

    The Minister further added that the new certificates will have additional security elements such as the National Identification Number (NIN) and the Bank Verification Number (BVN) for individuals and business organizations, respectively.

    The Minister equally disclosed that payment of the N3.5 million will not apply for recertification but will be applicable only for new issuances.

    His words are, “Those who have C of O don’t need to pay this money. The highest you can pay is maybe N50,000, and for corporate bodies, maybe N100,000 because you already have a C of O. All you are doing is recertifying in order to incorporate these new features.”

    Speaking on efforts to boost revenue generation in the FCT, the FCT Minister also emphasized that the FCT Administration will enforce the payment of property tax and ground rent, threatening those who fail to pay with the revocation of their allocations. He emphasized that the payment of ground rent must be enforced in order to support IGR.

    He said, “Over the years, nobody has been able to enforce the payment of ground rent. I came on board, and I said, Okay, it can’t be business as usual. You have property; you are given a C of O to back up your property.

    “In that C of O, you are told to be paying annual ground rent. For the past 15 years, you didn’t pay. Some people, for the past 20 years, have never paid.

    “And you know, Nigerians, they said nothing would happen. I came and said something would happen, and they had to pay. Seeing that we mean what we have said, if you don’t pay, we will revoke, and we have been doing that, people are now queuing up to pay. Go to AGIS; people are queuing up, and that has now increased our IGR.”

    Wike stated that IGR in the FCT has increased from N14 billion to over N20 billion each month.

    To guarantee that capital projects receive priority attention, the Minister announced that the FCT budgeting process will be modified, with 70% of the budget committed to capital projects and 30% for overhead expenses.

    • Wike directs Abuja landlords with C of O to pay recertification fee

    Speaking on vital current projects in the FCT, notably the Abuja mass rail transport program, the Minister stated that they will be finished by the one-year anniversary of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s government in May 2024.

    He noted that funding for the projects has been included in the FCT 2023 supplementary budget and that the contractors performing the projects have given assurances that the projects will be completed on time.

    Wike also stated that the FCT would begin operating mass transportation buses and taxis on the routes of Maitama, Asokoro, Wuse, and Garki next month, with tricycles, popularly known as Kepe Napep, being phased out by January 2024.

    Wike also stated that the FCTA will spend approximately N600 million to repair the mass transit buses in its fleet, which will be deployed on various routes to improve transportation.

    “We are launching vehicles for mass transit in December. Again, it’s part of the supplementary budget we submitted for Mr. President to transmit to the National Assembly.

    “The fund is there. We are anticipating that the National Assembly will pass it. We have started the procurement process so that, as it comes, we will not be delayed.

    “We have the money in our account. All we are seeking is approval by the National Assembly for us to be able to  spend.

    While bemoaning the FCT Administration’s rising wage costs, Wike offered to conduct a forensic audit of workers to identify the FCTA’s true workforce strength.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    UK rolls out digital visit visas for Nigerians

    UK rolls out digital visit visas for Nigerians

    Yusuf rejoins APC with lawmakers, LGA chairmen in Kano

    Yusuf reveals joining APC to secure Kano citizens’ interest

    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    UK rolls out digital visit visas for Nigerians

    UK rolls out digital visit visas for Nigerians

    February 17, 2026
    Yusuf rejoins APC with lawmakers, LGA chairmen in Kano

    Yusuf reveals joining APC to secure Kano citizens’ interest

    February 17, 2026
    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup

    February 17, 2026
    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    February 17, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.