Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    The South African Police Service says a female suspect apprehended over the murder of a Nigerian e-hailing driver will be arraigned today.

    Police to arraign suspect in S’Africa-based Nigerian student’s killing today

    February 16, 2026
    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    February 16, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Police to arraign suspect in S’Africa-based Nigerian student’s killing today
    • 2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging
    • Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe
    • Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS
    • Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash
    • FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu
    • Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0
    • Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Nigeria oil exports reach 1.8 million-bpd for first time in 16 months

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJune 7, 2017No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Emmanuel Ibe Kachikwu, Minister of State for Petroleum has been in talks with OPEC over oil output cuts

    Nigeria oil exports has reached around 1.8 million barrels per day (bpd) for first time in 16 months after Royal Dutch Shell lifted force majeure on exports of Nigeria’s Forcados crude oil.

    According to Reuters, a spokeswoman said on Wednesday said that the force majeure on exports of Nigeria’s Forcados crude oil had been lifted, bringing all of the West African country’s oil exports fully online for the first time in 16 months.

    The resumption of Forcados, which typically exports 200,000-240,000 barrels per day (bpd), bringing Nigeria to around the 1.8 million-bpd level the government said it wanted to achieve before joining OPEC output cuts, from which it is now exempt.

    Force majeure is a legal declaration that means the operator cannot fulfill a contract due to circumstances outside its control.

    The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and some other producers agreed last month to extend output cuts of about 1.8 million bpd until March.

    The initial six-month deal had been due to expire at the end of this month.

    BREAKING: Burmese plane ‘carrying 100’ disappears

    Nigeria and Libya, whose output has been disrupted by unrest and other factors, were both exempted from the curbs.

    Forcados had been under force majeure since February 2016 after a militant attack on the main export route, the Trans Forcados Pipeline.

    Despite a brief resumption in the autumn of 2016, militants struck again and force majeure was not lifted.

    Last week, Shell issued a loading programme for June exports that lifted planned exports from Nigeria to 1.75 million bpd, taking it to at least a 15-month high.

    On Wednesday, one trader said the programme had been revised higher to 252,000 bpd, putting crude oil exports for the month at 1.8 million bpd.

    “The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Ltd (SPDC) lifted the force majeure on crude oil exports from Forcados Terminal,” the firm said in a statement on Wednesday, saying the move was effective from 4 p.m. (1500 GMT) on Tuesday.

    “SPDC is grateful to various stakeholders, particularly the federal and Delta State governments, security agencies, NNPC and communities for their support in the repair of the three sabotage leaks on the pipeline,” it said.

    The lifting marks the first time in 16 months that all of Nigeria’s oil grades were free of loading disruptions severe enough to require force majeure.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    The South African Police Service says a female suspect apprehended over the murder of a Nigerian e-hailing driver will be arraigned today.

    Police to arraign suspect in S’Africa-based Nigerian student’s killing today

    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations

    Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    The South African Police Service says a female suspect apprehended over the murder of a Nigerian e-hailing driver will be arraigned today.

    Police to arraign suspect in S’Africa-based Nigerian student’s killing today

    February 16, 2026
    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    February 16, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    February 16, 2026
    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    February 15, 2026
    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.