Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses

    FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses

    February 21, 2026
    FAAN warns travellers against selfie, filming others without consent

    FAAN warns travellers against selfie, filming others without consent

    February 21, 2026
    Voters were seen waiting for the commencement of voting on Saturday at the Lugbe polling center in Abuja, as officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) struggled to complete preparations.

    FCT Election: Voting yet to begin at Lugbe polling unit

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses
    • FAAN warns travellers against selfie, filming others without consent
    • FCT Election: Voting yet to begin at Lugbe polling unit
    • Low voter turnout recorded at some FCT polling units
    • Peller escapes fire at Lagos mansion
    • Mirabel in police custody over false rape claim
    • LASTMA confirms one killed as tanker crashes in Lagos
    • Pastor to die by hanging for killing landlord in Akwa Ibom
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, February 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Migrant boat sinks off Syria, killing at least 71

    Michael RightBy Michael RightSeptember 23, 2022No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Syria boat mishap
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The bodies of 71 migrants have been found after the boat they were travelling in sank off Syria’s coast, the health minister has said.

    The boat, carrying more than 100 people, set off from Lebanon and was heading to Europe.

    Twenty survivors are being treated in a hospital in the Syrian city of Tartus.

    Officials said Lebanese, Syrian and Palestinian nationals – including women and children – were believed to be among the 120-150 people who were on board when the boat sank on Thursday.

    • Tourist boat missing off Japan coast

    It is not clear what caused the accident. A rescue attempt is ongoing.

    Officials added that the vessel had departed from Minyeh, a city near the Lebanese port city of Tripoli.

    The boat is believed to have been heading to Europe when it sank.

    Tartus, where survivors have been transported, is about 30 miles (50 km) north of Tripoli.

    Lebanon hosts an estimated 1.5 million Syrian refugees, and almost 14,000 from other countries, according to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). It hosts the largest number of refugees per capita in the world.

    And this year crossings have risen by more than 70% compared with the same time last year, international observers said.

    Earlier this month, six people, including children, were killed when a boat carrying migrants from Lebanon to Europe sank off the coast of Turkey. The country’s coast guard said 73 migrants from four ships had been rescued.

    BBC

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Ghana fans at an Africa football game

    When African fans started reading the game like experts

    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    US to withdraw all troops from Syria

    GameZone Rebate

    GameZone Rebate Builds Trust Within Organized Play

    Pope Leo flags Nigeria over rising Christian persecution concerns

    Pope urges Christians to refrain from slander as Lent begins

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US Embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses

    FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses

    February 21, 2026
    FAAN warns travellers against selfie, filming others without consent

    FAAN warns travellers against selfie, filming others without consent

    February 21, 2026
    Voters were seen waiting for the commencement of voting on Saturday at the Lugbe polling center in Abuja, as officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) struggled to complete preparations.

    FCT Election: Voting yet to begin at Lugbe polling unit

    February 21, 2026
    There was low voter turnout on Saturday morning at several polling units in the Abuja Municipal Area Council during the Federal Capital Territory Area Council elections.

    Low voter turnout recorded at some FCT polling units

    February 21, 2026
    Peller vows never to marry Nigerian woman, eyes foreign bride

    Peller escapes fire at Lagos mansion

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.