Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    February 20, 2026
    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel admits lying over rape claim

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim
    • Mirabel admits lying over rape claim
    • Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack
    • Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 
    • EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin
    • Osinbajo hails Otti’s reforms in Abia
    • SERAP asks court to strike out DSS N5.5bn suit
    • NOA slams traders over Ramadan, Lent food price spike
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    54,000 evacuated in Italy as WWII bomb is defused

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorDecember 15, 2019No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Two thirds of Brindisi, southern Italy, were evacuated on Sunday morning
    Two thirds of Brindisi, southern Italy, were evacuated on Sunday morning
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Around 54,000 people were evacuated Sunday morning from the southern Italian city of Brindisi as experts worked to defuse a British World War II bomb.

    The 440-pound device, discovered on November 2 during works on a cinema, prompted the largest disposal operation ever seen in the country.

    Nearly two-thirds of the city’s residents – including 217 prisoners – have left the mile-wide blast radius, gas pipes within a half-mile have been cut off and even some air traffic has been suspended.

    More than 1,000 police officers and 250 volunteers were deployed to ensure the city was cleared and close the access gates to prevent anyone coming in.

    At around 6.30am mayor Riccardo Rossi sat alongside emergency service chiefs inside a ‘situation room’ where drone footage was relayed of the bomb disposal robot at work.

    READ ALSO: Lagos Taskforce Set To Remove Illegal Structures In Lekki

    Adding to the complications the explosive had been damaged last month when it was discovered by construction workers.

    Experts from the military and the fire brigade took around 40 minutes to extract the fuse from the historic war bomb.

    Sources from the fire brigade told local media that the bomb had been successfully defused and would take it to a local quarry tomorrow to blow it up. It is understood to contain around 40 pounds of TNT.

    The port city, a strategic gateway to the Adriatic on the heel of Italy, was bombed by the Allies before it was surrendered in 1943.

    A New York Times report from 1941 makes reference to ‘the heaviest casualties in any British air raid on the Italian peninsula since Italy declared war,’ with 120 killed or wounded in the Friday night swoop.

    The city was secretly offered by the Italians along with the port city of Taranto and prompted Britain to launch Operation Slapstick, the invasion of Italy in September 1943.

    Culled

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Ghana fans at an Africa football game

    When African fans started reading the game like experts

    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    US to withdraw all troops from Syria

    GameZone Rebate

    GameZone Rebate Builds Trust Within Organized Play

    Pope Leo flags Nigeria over rising Christian persecution concerns

    Pope urges Christians to refrain from slander as Lent begins

    Borussia Dortmund Niclas Fuellkurg scored the only goal of the match against PSG

    Borussia Dortmund get 2-0 Champions League win over Atalanta

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    February 20, 2026
    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel admits lying over rape claim

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack

    February 20, 2026
    Shehu Sani: E-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 

    February 20, 2026
    EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin

    EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.