The United Nations has warned that about 35 million Nigerians will be at risk of acute hunger from June to August.
On Friday, the UN humanitarian country team said Nigeria was facing a deepening hunger crisis, with millions at risk as the lean season approaches.
The UN said the report indicates Nigeria is facing one of the world’s largest hunger crises, with the burden falling on the northern part of the country.
“Nearly one in seven people, that is 35 million people nationwide in Nigeria, are likely to face acute food insecurity during this year’s lean season, which runs from June to August,” the report stated.
“If assistance is further delayed, millions of families will be forced to further reduce meals, sell assets, or withdraw their children from school, with the long-term impact that we know it has.”
The UN said an estimated 6.4 million children are likely to suffer acute malnutrition this year across states in the north-west and north-east geopolitical zones.
“Our partners and we are appealing for urgent funding to scale up life-saving assistance,” the global multilateral body said.
The UN stressed that the already hyper-prioritised $516 million Humanitarian Needs and Response Plan for 2026 has only received just over 40 percent of its funding.
The latest humanitarian response plan report added that only $215 million out of the $516 million had been received as of May 2026.








