At least 24 bandits have reportedly been killed after security operatives foiled an attempted mass abduction in Gidan Bawa village, Kandarawa Ward, Bakori Local Government Area of Katsina State.
According to counter-insurgency publication Zagazola Makama, about 40 gunmen loyal to notorious bandit kingpin Isiya Kwashen Garwa invaded the community on Tuesday, targeting residents, particularly women and children.
The publication said the attack was thwarted after intelligence uncovered the planned operation by the bandits.
The operation involved the Nigerian Army, Department of State Services (DSS), Katsina Community Watch Corps and Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) members from Guga camp.
Zagazola Makama reported that the bandits had planned a mass abduction similar to the recent kidnapping of residents of Woro community in Kwara State.
The publication said the planned attack was also allegedly intended to embarrass the government.
Acting on the intelligence, security operatives mobilised to intercept the attackers and reportedly ambushed them during the operation.
Zagazola said 24 of the gunmen were killed, while residents who had been abducted were rescued.
The operatives also recovered 19 stolen cattle during the operation.
Efforts were ongoing to locate and apprehend the fleeing members of the gang, the publication added.









