Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    UniAbuja student goes missing

    100-level UniAbuja student goes missing

    February 20, 2026
    ICPC arrests El-Rufai over ongoing corruption investigation

    El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC

    February 20, 2026
    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • 100-level UniAbuja student goes missing
    • El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC
    • Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim
    • Mirabel admits lying over rape claim
    • Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack
    • Shehu Sani says e-transmission not enough for credible elections 
    • EFCC docks two over alleged N143m fraud in Benin
    • Osinbajo hails Otti’s reforms in Abia
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Zimbabwe: Army chief accused of ‘treasonable conduct’

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorNovember 14, 2017No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Zimbabwe Army General Constantino Chiwenga warned of a military takeover
    Zimbabwe Army General Constantino Chiwenga warned of a military takeover
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Zimbabwe Army General Constantino Chiwenga warned of a military takeover
    Zimbabwe Army General Constantino Chiwenga warned of a military takeover

    Zimbabwe’s ruling party has accused the country’s army chief of “treasonable conduct” after he warned of a possible military intervention in politics.

    General Constantino Chiwenga had challenged President Robert Mugabe after he sacked the vice-president. Gen Chiwenga said the army was prepared to act to end purges within Mr Mugabe’s Zanu-PF party.



    The party said the general’s comments were “calculated to disturb national peace… [and] incite insurrection”.

    In a statement, the party said it would never succumb to military threats, and that it “reaffirms the primacy of politics over the gun”.

    Mr Mugabe sacked Vice-President Emmerson Mnangagwa last week, amid a row over the 93-year-old president’s successor.

    Read Also UN condemns North Korea for firing missiles people starve

    Earlier, BBC correspondents in the capital, Harare, reported that a few armoured vehicles had been seen on a main public road outside the city having left one of the country’s main military barracks, Inkomo.

    It is not clear where they were heading but they were not seen on the streets of Harare. One of the vehicles had broken down on the side of the road.

    Gen Chiwenga’s warning of possible military intervention came on Monday at a news conference at the army’s headquarters.

    He said the “purging” within Zanu-PF was “clearly targeting members of the party with a liberation background”, referring to the country’s struggle for independence.

    “We must remind those behind the current treacherous shenanigans that when it comes to matters of protecting our revolution, the military will not hesitate to step in,” he said.

    Mr Mnangagwa is one such veteran of the 1970s war which led to independence.
    Gen Chiwenga gave his address surrounded by 90 senior army officers.

    But the leader of Zanu-PF’s youth wing, Kudzai Chipanga, said the general did not have the full support of the entire military.

    “We will not sit and fold hands while threats are made against a legitimately-elected government,” he warned.

    The youth wing supports President Mugabe’s wife, Grace, as his successor – something which the former vice president had opposed.

    Mr Mnangagwa had told Mr Mugabe that Zanu-PF is “not personal property for you and your wife to do as you please” before he was forced into exile.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Ghana fans at an Africa football game

    When African fans started reading the game like experts

    Tinubu seeks Nigerians' forgiveness as Ramadan, Lent begin

    Tinubu advocates fairer African financial system

    Residents flee to Benin Republic as terrorists invade Niger again

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Tinubu seeks Nigerians' forgiveness as Ramadan, Lent begin

    Tinubu demands release of South Sudan VP Machar

    AU grants Nigeria permanent seat on African Central Bank Board

    AU grants Nigeria permanent seat on African Central Bank Board

    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu extols Murtala’s legacy at 50th anniversary lecture

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    UniAbuja student goes missing

    100-level UniAbuja student goes missing

    February 20, 2026
    ICPC arrests El-Rufai over ongoing corruption investigation

    El-Rufai: Lawyer condemns search of ex-gov’s residence by ICPC

    February 20, 2026
    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    February 20, 2026
    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel admits lying over rape claim

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kill 33 in fresh Kebbi attack

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.