Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    February 16, 2026
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Social network X restored after global outage
    • Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others
    • US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links
    • Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack
    • Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects
    • APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders
    • Natasha in fresh clash at senate committee chairman’s office
    • Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Wike debunks Makinde’s claim on ‘holding down’ PDP for Tinubu

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoDecember 30, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Wike debunks Makinde claim on ‘holding down’ PDP for Tinubu
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Nyesom Wike, Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, has denied promising President Bola Tinubu to “hold down” the Peoples Democratic Party ahead of the 2027 presidential election.

    The denial comes amid rising tensions inside the PDP, which erupted last week after Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde accused Wike of promising Tinubu that he would keep the opposition party down for him.

    During an end-of-year media talk on Monday, Wike dismissed Makinde’s allegation as a transparent lie, implying that the Oyo State governor was “frustrated” and lacked the nerve to openly declare his presidential ambitions.

    “Seyi Makinde has never called me Wike. That is the first time I have heard him calling me Wike. It’s unfortunate.

    “First of all, you ask yourself, what was that meeting? What was the purpose of that meeting? That would have led me to say, Mr. President, I will hold PDP down for you.”

    The FCT minister queried why, if the allegation were true, Makinde did not raise the issue earlier after the alleged meeting with the president.

    “Why did Seyi Makinde not come up all this while to tell the party to see what Wike is doing? I was in a meeting. I saw what Wike said. It’s not correct,” he said.

    Setting the record straight, Wike said, “There was no such meeting. Rather, my humble self, the former governor of Benue State, Samuel Ortom, the former governor of Abia State, Okezie Ikpeazu, the former governor of Enugu State, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, and Seyi Makinde went to see the president.

    “We went to see the president after elections were over, to discuss certain things. While we were there, the Chief of Staff—you should know that the Chief of Staff is always around the president.

    “I was the one who said, ‘Look, Chief of Staff, come and sit down so we can remind the president of what we have discussed. There was nothing like a meeting; we booked to go and see Mr. President. So, it is completely out of place for anybody to say that in that meeting I told Mr. President that I would hold PDP down for him.”

    Describing Makinde’s claim as “very, totally unfair,” Wike said the Oyo State governor was frustrated.

    “I have told everybody, frustration—if you can see it, if you watch Seyi Makinde, you can see frustration. And this young man, we have advised severely.

    “Politics is not like being a contractor with Shell. Politics is not like being a contractor. It has different rules.

    “When did Seyi Makinde come into politics? There is nothing wrong with having ambition, but the ambition must be pursued according to the rules.”

    The dispute arose from Makinde’s disclosures during a media interview last week, in which he described a private 2023 meeting between himself, Wike, and Tinubu.

    According to Makinde, Wike voluntarily promised to undermine the PDP to support Tinubu’s re-election campaign, with no encouragement from the president.

    “Wike said he was going to hold the PDP down for President Tinubu,” Makinde claimed during a public address, explaining the root of their fallout.

    He also expressed regret for supporting Tinubu in the 2023 elections and promised not to endorse him in 2027, citing fears over Nigeria’s democratic future.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    February 16, 2026
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    February 16, 2026
    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    February 16, 2026
    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.