Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Yusuf rejoins APC with lawmakers, LGA chairmen in Kano

    Yusuf reveals joining APC to secure Kano citizens’ interest

    February 17, 2026
    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup

    February 17, 2026
    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Yusuf reveals joining APC to secure Kano citizens’ interest
    • Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup
    • Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno
    • El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe
    • ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95
    • Social network X restored after global outage
    • Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others
    • US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    We have nothing to do with Biafra – UK

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJuly 8, 2017No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Paul Thomas Arkwright, British High Commissioner with Senate President Saraki
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Paul Thomas Arkwright, British High Commissioner with Senate President Saraki

    The United Kingdom has denied insinuation that it is in support of any agitation for the break-up of Nigeria particularly by Biafra agitators.

    The British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Mr. Paul Thomas Arkwright, said on Friday that the British government was not supporting those calling for the secession in Nigeria.

    The UK said it would always support Nigeria’s unity and ensure the progress of the country as usual.

    Arkwright spoke in Ilorin, Kwara State, when a paid a courtesy visit to the state House of Assembly where he met with the Speaker, Dr Ali Ahmed and other principal officers of the house.

    “In a word, no, we don’t have anything to do with anyone agitating for break-up of Nigeria.

    “We’re strongly in support of the unity of Nigeria and the federal government of Nigeria.

    “And that’s what the British government has consistently supported and we don’t have interest or support any one agitating for the break- up of Nigeria.

    “For anyone to say the British governmental is involved in any way in the break-up of Nigeria is completely wrong,” he said.

    He described Nigeria’s democratic situation as delicate, but commended efforts at upholding democratic tenets and keeping the flame of democracy alive.

    France, an ally of defunct Biafra in 1967, had similarly denounced any further step to actualise the secession of South East from Nigeria.

    The country said that such a move had been overtaken by events and no longer in support of break-up of any part of Nigeria.

    France’s Ambassador to Nigeria, Denys Gauer, said his country would not in any way work with any group agitating for the dismemberment of Nigeria.

    He said France was working with Nigeria and supporting it as a country.

    He spoke against the backdrop of France’s previous support for Biafra during Nigeria’s civil war.

    Gauer pointed out that Nigeria has evolved since the civil war.

    France has been cooperating with the country to overcome its challenges, especially the fight against insurgency.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Yusuf rejoins APC with lawmakers, LGA chairmen in Kano

    Yusuf reveals joining APC to secure Kano citizens’ interest

    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Yusuf rejoins APC with lawmakers, LGA chairmen in Kano

    Yusuf reveals joining APC to secure Kano citizens’ interest

    February 17, 2026
    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup

    February 17, 2026
    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    February 17, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    February 17, 2026
    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.