The United States (US) has frozen the assets of eight Nigerians over alleged links to extremist groups, including Boko Haram and Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
The action was detailed in a 3,000-page publication released on February 10 by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), the sanctions arm of the United States Department of the Treasury.
The document, titled the “Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons List”, outlines individuals and entities whose assets have been frozen under US counter-terrorism sanctions.
Among those listed is Salih Yusuf Adamu, also known as Salihu Yusuf, born August 23, 1990. OFAC said he has ties to Boko Haram.
Yusuf was among six Nigerians convicted in 2022 in the United Arab Emirates for setting up a Boko Haram fundraising cell. The group allegedly attempted to transfer $782,000 from Dubai to Nigeria to support insurgent activities.
Also designated under terrorism sanctions were:
- Abu Abdullah ibn Umar Al-Barnawi (Ba Idrisa)
- Abu Musab Al-Barnawi (Habib Yusuf)
- Khaled (Khalid) Al-Barnawi
- Ibrahim Ali Alhassan
- Abu Bakr ibn Muhammad ibn Ali Al-Mainuki
Several of the individuals were reportedly born in Maiduguri and other parts of Borno State.
Babestan Oluwole Ademulero, born March 4, 1953, was listed under SDNTK sanctions with multiple aliases, including Wole A. Babestan and Olatunde Irewole Shofeso.
In addition, Nnamdi Orson Benson, born March 21, 1987, was sanctioned under CYBER2 provisions for alleged cyber-related offences.
Under Executive Order 13224, all property and interests belonging to the designated individuals within US jurisdiction are blocked. US citizens and businesses are prohibited from engaging in financial or commercial transactions with them.
OFAC said the publication serves as formal notice to the public and financial institutions to ensure compliance with US sanctions programmes.
“This publication is designed as a reference tool providing actual notice of actions by OFAC with respect to Specially Designated Nationals and other persons whose property is blocked,” the agency stated.
The move follows recent recommendations by US lawmakers for visa bans and asset freezes on individuals accused of violating religious freedom in Nigeria.
Those mentioned in the recommendations include former Kano governor Rabiu Kwankwaso and the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria, as well as Miyetti Allah Kautal.
The United States officially designated Boko Haram a Foreign Terrorist Organisation in 2013, citing its deadly attacks across northern Nigeria and the Lake Chad Basin since 2009.
In October 2025, US President Donald Trump announced that Nigeria would again be placed on the US State Department’s list of “Countries of Particular Concern” over alleged religious freedom violations. Nigeria had previously been designated in 2020 but was later removed by former President Joe Biden.
The latest sanctions underscore renewed scrutiny of Nigeria’s security and religious freedom record by Washington.









