Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Newcastle cruise past Arsenal to reach Carabao Cup final

    UCL: Gordon scores four as Newcastle thrash Qarabag 6-1

    February 18, 2026
    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    February 18, 2026
    GameZone Rebate

    GameZone Rebate Builds Trust Within Organized Play

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • UCL: Gordon scores four as Newcastle thrash Qarabag 6-1
    • Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users
    • GameZone Rebate Builds Trust Within Organized Play
    • Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans
    • Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo
    • Gas leak in Plateau mine kills 37, others hospitalised
    • Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage
    • Troops rescue victim, kill five kidnappers in Plateau
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, February 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    UK Health Minister tests positive for COVID-19

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJuly 18, 2021No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    British Health Secretary Sajid Javid has tested positive for COVID-19 Omicron Nigeria
    UK Health Secretary Sajid Javid says Nigeria has been added to the red list
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    British Health Secretary Sajid Javid said on Saturday he had tested positive for Covid-19 and was self-isolating — just as his government prepared to jettison most pandemic restrictions in England.

    Under his government’s rules, Javid is now required to self-isolate for 10 days unless a PCR test comes back negative and he no longer has symptoms.

    Any of his “close contacts” — potentially including others in the government — would have to self-isolate too if they receive instructions from the state-run National Health Service (NHS).

    Javid was reportedly at 10 Downing Street on Friday, but there was no immediate comment from spokespeople as to whether he met face to face with Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who nearly died of Covid last year.

    Javid also appeared alongside ministers in parliament last week, and one government source told The Telegraph newspaper: “I don’t see how half the cabinet doesn’t end up in isolation by the end of the week.”

    Javid has only been in the job since June 26, when former health secretary Matt Hancock resigned following revelations he had broken coronavirus restrictions during an affair with a close aide.

    After feeling “a bit groggy”, Javid said he had taken a lateral flow test on Saturday morning which came out positive, and he was now awaiting the result of a confirmatory PCR test.

    But he stressed he has received both doses of a Covid vaccine and his symptoms were “very mild”.

    Javid said any member of the public feeling symptoms should get a test too.

    “If everyone plays their part, you’re not only protecting yourself and your loved ones, but you’re also safeguarding the NHS and helping to preserve our way of life,” he said.

    However, with coronavirus cases again surging, many scientists say the government is endangering the NHS with its plan on Monday to scrap most legal pandemic requirements in England.

    For the first time since mid-January, Britain’s daily Covid caseload now exceeds 50,000, and Javid has warned the figure could double from that in the coming weeks.

    • NCDC confirms deadly Delta COVID-19 variant in Nigeria

    But the government insists that with two-thirds of the adult population now fully vaccinated, the risk can be managed, and Monday has been dubbed “freedom day” by many UK media.

    Munira Wilson, health spokeswoman for the opposition Liberal Democrats, said Javid’s test result “shows no one is safe from this deadly virus”.

    Urging the government “to rethink its reckless plans for Monday”, she said: “By easing all restrictions with cases surging, they are experimenting with people’s lives.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    GameZone Rebate

    GameZone Rebate Builds Trust Within Organized Play

    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo

    Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo

    Gas leak in Plateau mine kills 37, others hospitalised

    Gas leak in Plateau mine kills 37, others hospitalised

    Governor Uba Sani of Kaduna State has approved 50 Christians from the state to embark on a holy pilgrimage, ending an 11-year suspension of the program.

    Kaduna ends El-Rufai’s ban, approves 50 Christians for pilgrimage

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Newcastle cruise past Arsenal to reach Carabao Cup final

    UCL: Gordon scores four as Newcastle thrash Qarabag 6-1

    February 18, 2026
    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    Why major Nigerian banking in-app support fails users

    February 18, 2026
    GameZone Rebate

    GameZone Rebate Builds Trust Within Organized Play

    February 18, 2026
    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    February 18, 2026
    Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo

    Two killed, five injured in APC ward congress in Ondo

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.