Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    February 20, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings
    • Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community
    • Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum
    • N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays
    • Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 
    • Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday
    • Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack
    • Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Twitter blocks New York Times by mistake

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorNovember 27, 2017No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Twitter says it mistakenly blocked New York Times
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Twitter says it mistakenly blocked New York Times

    Twitter has acknowledged that a day-long block of one of the New York Times’s accounts was imposed in error.

    The @nytimesworld team, which covers international events, has about 1.9 million followers and is recognised by the social network as being a “verified account”.

    But on Saturday it was locked after posting a report about the Canadian prime minister.

    The newspaper was told it had violated Twitter’s rules about hateful conduct.

    The NYT said it had taken Twitter nearly 24 hours to unlock the account and allow it to start posting again.

    Twitter said it stumbled in freezing @nytimesworld after a tweet on the Canadian prime minister https://t.co/9ui4zcXNeJ

    — The New York Times (@nytimes) November 27, 2017

    It normally sends up to 100 tweets a day.

    The supposedly offensive post had said: “Left out of an apology a decade ago, native people in Newfoundland and Labrador get an apology from Justin Trudeau.”

    READ: Nigeria Police warn against circulating sex videos

    It referred to the politician addressing the fact that indigenous children had been forced to attend boarding schools in the past, where some had been abused.

    The newspaper had been embroiled in controversy the same day after profiling a Nazi sympathiser – leading to complaints it had “normalised” the views of a white nationalist.

    However, Twitter has not indicated that the two events are linked.

    In a statement it said: “After reviewing the account, it appears that one of our agents made an error. We have flagged this issue so that similar mistakes are not made going forward.”

    A rogue Twitter employee briefly deactivated President Trump’s account earlier in the month, but in that case the action was rectified in just 11 minutes.

    In October, the company faced criticism after it temporarily restricted the account of Rose McGowan – an actress who had accused film producer Harvey Weinstein of rape – without explaining why until later.

    Mr Weinstein denies any allegations of non-consensual sex.

    In the past, Twitter has more commonly been attacked for taking too long or failing altogether to remove bullying, hateful and otherwise offensive material.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    February 20, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    February 20, 2026
    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    February 20, 2026
    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.