Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    February 15, 2026
    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash
    • FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu
    • Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0
    • Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday
    • Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border
    • Amotekun nabs12 suspected kidnappers, 83 others in Ondo
    • Terrorists kidnap four in fresh Kwara attack
    • US troops, military aircraft touch down in Nigeria for counter-terrorism
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Trump, governor face-off over transgender rights

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoFebruary 22, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Trump considering air strikes on Iran - White House
    US president Donald Trump
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    United States President Donald Trump had a heated exchange with a Democratic governor on Friday over his order barring transgender athletes from women’s sports, with the state governor telling him, “See you in court.”

    Trump was making televised remarks to a gathering of the country’s governors at the White House when he raised the executive order he signed earlier this month.

    “Two weeks ago I signed an executive order banning men from playing in women’s sports. Many Democrats are fighting me on that. I hope you continue because you’ll never win another race,” he said.

    The ban is “to protect women,” he claimed.

    “Are you not going to comply with it?” he asked Janet Mills, governor of the northeastern state of Maine.

    “I’m complying with state and federal laws,” Mills responded.

    “Well, we are the federal law… You better do it, because you’re not going to get any federal funding at all if you don’t,” the president said.

    “See you in court,” she responded.

    “Good, I’ll see you in court. I look forward to that. That should be a really easy one. And enjoy your life after governor, because I don’t think you’ll be in elected politics,” a visibly angry Trump replied.

    Trump’s order allows US government agencies to deny funds to schools that allow transgender athletes to compete on women’s sports teams.

    Some Maine officials have stated that they will continue a policy of allowing transgender students to choose which team they play on, citing state law under the Maine Human Rights Act, according to the Portland Press Herald.

    Mills and the state’s attorney general have promised to fight any move to deny the state federal funds, the newspaper reported.

    Later Friday, the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights announced an investigation into Maine’s education department for alleged violations of Title IX, the landmark civil rights law that forbids discrimination on the basis of gender in educational facilities that receive federal support.

    A statement stated charges that Maine’s education administration “continues to allow male athletes to compete in girls’ interscholastic athletics and has denied female athletes female-only intimate facilities, thereby violating federal antidiscrimination law.”

    Craig Trainor, the Department of Education’s acting Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, stated that Maine must comply with Title IX in order to continue receiving federal money.

    “If it wants to forgo federal funds and continue to trample the rights of its young female athletes, that, too, is its choice,” he said in the statement.

    Mills called it a “politically directed move” to strip funding “paid for by Maine taxpayers.”

    “This is not just about who can compete on the athletic field; this is about whether a president can force compliance with his will, without regard for the rule of law that governs our nation,” she added.

    Republicans pounded Democrats on transgender issues, particularly in youth and sports, before the 2024 election, playing on a larger culture war over LGBTQ rights.

    Since regaining power, Trump has demonized any acknowledgment of gender variation, attacking transgender persons (a small fraction of the population) and gender-affirming treatment for youngsters in both his rhetoric and his orders.

    Trump has also stated that he will pressure the International Olympic Committee to amend its policies regarding transgender competitors before the 2028 Los Angeles Games.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    Customs to review agents’ licence renewal fees January 2026

    Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border

    Amotekun arrests 170 anti-open grazing law violators

    Amotekun nabs12 suspected kidnappers, 83 others in Ondo

    Terrorists abduct nine Catholic church worshippers in Benue

    Terrorists kidnap four in fresh Kwara attack

    US troops, military aircraft touch down in Nigeria for counter-terrorism

    US troops, military aircraft touch down in Nigeria for counter-terrorism

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    February 15, 2026
    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    February 15, 2026
    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    February 15, 2026
    Customs to review agents’ licence renewal fees January 2026

    Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.