Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    February 19, 2026
    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    February 19, 2026
    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara
    • Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track
    • Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026
    • Ondo monarch killed by terrorists
    • Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest
    • Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals
    • Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection
    • Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Trump criticizes ‘weak, ineffective’ judges as deportation row intensifies

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoApril 20, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Trump considering air strikes on Iran - White House
    US president Donald Trump
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The fight over President Donald Trump’s plan to use unprecedented authority to deport migrants heated up on Sunday, with Trump once again criticising the judiciary and a prominent Democrat warning the US was “closer and closer” to a constitutional catastrophe.

    The latest developments follow the Supreme Court’s stunning intervention in the early hours of Saturday to temporarily halt Trump’s use of an obscure provision to deport Venezuelan migrants without due process.

    Trump slammed the Supreme Court on his Truth Social platform on Sunday, without particularly mentioning it.

    Trump lashed out Sunday on his Truth Social platform, not specifically naming the high court but criticising the “weak and ineffective judges and law enforcement officials who are allowing this sinister attack on our nation to continue, an attack so violent that it will never be forgotten!”

    Samuel Alito, one of two conservative Supreme Court justices who voted against the suspension, called the majority’s emergency judgement “legally questionable”.

    “Literally in the middle of the night, the court issued unprecedented and legally questionable relief… without hearing from the opposing party,” Alito wrote in his dissent.

    The court’s injunction at least temporarily delayed what rights groups had said were imminent deportations of Venezuelan migrants detained in Texas and accused of gang membership.

    More broadly, the judgement temporarily prohibits the government from continuing to remove migrants under the 1798 Alien Enemies Act, which was last invoked to pick up Japanese-American citizens during WWII.

    The Trump administration has clashed with federal judges, rights groups, and Democrats who claim he has violated or neglected constitutionally protected rights by hurrying to deport migrants, sometimes without a hearing.

    “We’re getting closer and closer to a constitutional crisis,” Democratic Senator Amy Klobuchar told CNN.
    “Donald Trump is trying to pull us down into the sewer of a crisis.”

    The Republican president has argued that he is defending American residents from an influx of unauthorised migrants, including murderers, terrorists, and rapists, while carrying out the will of the voters who reelected him to the White House.

    Last month, the Trump administration sent hundreds of migrants, mostly Venezuelans, to El Salvador’s maximum-security CECOT jail, claiming they were members of dangerous gangs.

    In the most known case, Maryland resident Kilmar Abrego Garcia was deported to El Salvador’s notorious mega-prison without charge.

    The administration admitted that Abrego Garcia was listed in the deportee list owing to an “administrative error”, and a judge ruled that the government must “facilitate” his return.

    Trump has subsequently doubled down on his claim that Abrego Garcia is a gang member, even publishing an apparently doctored photo of a gang emblem tattooed on his knuckles on social media on Friday.

    CECOT detainees are crowded inside windowless cells, sleep on metal beds with no mattresses, and are not allowed to see visitors.

    On Thursday, Maryland Senator Chris Van Hollen was able to visit with Abrego Garcia, who expressed confusion over his imprisonment and a sense of threat in prison.

    On Sunday, Van Hollen pressed the Trump administration to produce evidence that it is following US laws in its deportation campaign.

    “I’m okay with whatever the rule of law dictates,” he told CNN, “but right now we have a lawless president… a lawless president who is ignoring the order of the Supreme Court of the United States to facilitate (Abrego Garcia’s) return.”

    “They need to put up or shut up in the courts of the United States.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected bandits.

    Ondo monarch killed by terrorists

    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals

    Yoon: South Korea’s ex-president indicted for abuse of power

    Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    February 19, 2026
    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    February 19, 2026
    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    February 19, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected bandits.

    Ondo monarch killed by terrorists

    February 19, 2026
    Gabon suspends social media amid 'fake news', rising unrest

    Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.